XXXV. Blissful Bribe

Extending Our Hearts

⎯⎯⎯⎯

THEO,ELLA CALLS OUT, taking a bite from a muffin on the counter. "Can I ask you something?"

My eyes automatically drift to the the crumbs falling on the counter. Her cheeks get a tinge of red as she shakes her head, letting a few strands of hair cover her face.

I nod, standing up before putting my laptop on the coffee table and heading toward the fridge. "What do you wanna know?"

My eyes involuntarily move to her face as I pour the lemonade into a cup, leading it to overflow and cause a mess on the counter. Good job, Theodore.

"Remember when you said school was a complicated topic, why?" She says as her eyebrows narrow at the muffin in front of her in thought.

I sigh and grab the paper towel to clean up the spilled drink. I contemplate telling her a less detailed story about the entire school thing before deciding to try and tell as much as I can.

"Uh," I stutter. "My senior year, something happened-"

A laugh escapes her, "Let me guess, you beat someone up?"

I look up and wince, my reaction answering her question.

She gasps and she gapes at me, "You beat someone up?"

"With reason," I explain. "They were bullying Talia."

Taking another bite from the muffin she covers her mouth, chewing slowly and asking, "And how exactly is this complicated?"

"I got suspended, right?" I say and wipe the counter, my back to her.

"Originally, it only lasted a month, but then," I clear my throat, "The kid I had a confrontation with-"

Ella nods and hums, "Yeah, the kid you beat up."

I glance at her wording and roll my eyes.

"The kid I beat up convinced the vice principal, who by the way, is his mom," I say and shake my head. "To convince the board to suspend me for two months, which was the reason I already flunked the year."

"I still don't understand what's so complicated about-" Ella mumbles behind me.

I turn around to face her and throw the wet paper towel in the bin. "I lost my scholarship to Paris Business School."

Her eyes widen at my words, "You had a scholarship?"

"Of course," I scoff. "Mother would've kicked me out way earlier if I weren't the best in academics."

Ella gapes at me, still shocked with the domino effect that stupid asshole Tyler had on practically my entire life.

She shakes her head, confused. "Did you explain to the school why? What were you going to study?"

"Business obviously," I puff out. "Once they saw I flunked the year and that suspension got on my permanent record, they withdrew the offer —nothing would've convinced them by then anyway."

My hands grip the counter beside me as I remember Tyler's stupid face pretending I'd been the one to first launch at him. As if he weren't disrespecting my sister in front of everyone.

I grit my teeth, "Not to mention, the vice principal wrote a letter to the university board saying that they think I'm not qualified and I don't have self control."

My grip on the counter loosens when I look up to see Ella taking the last bite of her muffin before walking toward me.

It only takes her three steps to reach me and her hands envelop my waist as she looks up at me, "Did you have to redo the year?"

I nod, my hands reaching around her waist pulling her closer. "Dropped out of the school and decided to do an online course, it's a valid diploma but I'll have to work my ass off in college to even enter a European university now."

"Europe?" she says and looks up at me.

My eyebrows shoot up as her hands tug away from me, "Doesn't have to be, I always wanted to go as far as I could from my mother, and Europe was the answer."

"And now?"

"I'm not sure yet, I'll take the year off but afterwards I have my mind on law school —different route but it's nice, different."  I continue to stare at her and her hands immediately surround me again.

What about her though?

What about Ella? I barely know anything about her academics.

"Where are you going to study?" I ask her and she mumbles an incoherent response in return.

"Uh," I tap her cheek. "I can't understand you."

She slaps my shoulder before smiling at me, "The city's always been the dream."

"With Kyra?" I ask.

She snorts in response and shakes her head. "I don't want to live with her —goodness, she's such a slob!"

"She also lives on the other side of the city which is so dumb since campus is closer to here," Ella rolls her eyes. "But I sort of understand, my stepfather's a dick."

I let out a chuckle as I hear her curse.

Wait, stepfather? Shit, I do remember her saying her father had passed away from lung cancer.

As if noticing my confusion she laughs, "Richard married my mom after my dad died, total asshole you know?"

She shakes her head, "Dad and him used to be close friends but something happened- I don't even know what but I guess he took revenge by marrying my mother after his death."

I nod in response not knowing what to say, "Do you have an idea why they had a fallout?"

"I think it's his gambling problem," she sighs. "He's still taking out thousands out of our reserve left by my dad to cover his bullshit debts."

I feel her nails dig into my sides and take notice of the angry pout she's sporting.

"Well," I sigh, speechless. "Hopefully Kyra will remove him from the entitlement soon."

She grins at me, "She better do, before I run that asshole over with your car."

"Now I'm definitely not letting you drive my car again," I mutter jokingly.

She grins at me, "Borrow me it and I'll give you a kiss."

"Are you bribing me?" I ask, sounding offended.

A laugh escapes her as she stands on her tippy toes and grabs the sides of my face.

"No?" She says and grins before giving me a peck on the lips.

She pulls back and I feel stupid for not being able to control the grin on my face before grabbing her waist and pull her in for another kiss.

Utter Bliss.