Broken People

Florence concentrated on the road ahead as they drove, in her mind she was having an inner battle with herself, this had all got a whole lot more complicated, her plan had been to take Cole, who was homeless to Chase's apartment so he would at least have somewhere to stay. And then she had walked into the prison release room and found the same eyes of the boy she had loved staring right back at her in that same soul-searching way and any plans had flown right out of the window.

She wouldn't mind staying at her parents till he found his feet she kept telling herself  and he was Chase's blood relative, she didn't know what had gone down between the two of them but he was his family, meaning she had to be there for him, as a sort of payback to Chase.

Her phone began to ring and she jumped, she still wasn't used to a phone constantly making noise, receiving updates and messages, she couldn't drive and talk... but the call might be important.

She gestured to her bag 

"Can you get that please?" she had been trying for the past twenty minutes to completely ignore Cole's existence, she didn't need reminding that he was an exact replica of Chase but not Chase and frankly it hurt to look at him.

He opened one eye and reached into her bag taking out the buzzing phone

"It says Natalie," he said, reading the screen.

"Please pick it up and take a message" she could hear her agent's high-pitched squealing as Cole held the phone away from his ear

She heard more shrieking and then Cole said.

"Hi, this isn't Florence, she's driving right now, can I take a message?"

He nodded twice and then hung up the call.

"She said to tell you that Elle Magazine wants an interview and sales are off the charts, she also said not to directly talk to any reporters who call you especially someone called Cornelia, weird name if you ask me"

Florence nodded, still feeling stunned.

Elle Magazine, The Elle Magazine wanted an interview with her.

"So are we just going to ignore each other the rest of the journey?" Cole asked 

"There's some things I'd like to know and some things I'm sure you'd like to know"

Florence gripped the steering wheel even tighter.

"Go ahead, ask me what you want" in her head, she begged him not to try and talk about Chase with her, she didn't need to have a conversation about him, not now.

"Who are you?" he asked 

"Other than what Chase wrote in his letter all I know is that he trusted you enough to leave his worldly possessions with you and told you to come to get me"

Florence felt a dull pain in her forehead, when he put it like that it seemed like a silly decision, and she felt bad that he basically had nothing to his name, yet his twin had left her everything in his will.

"I'm Florence Clarke and to be honest I'm about as confused as you are about being left all of Chase's things, you're  probably bitter about that if you want anything, feel free to take it," she said