A Family Occasion

Florence only looked up from her phone occasionally to direct Cole, she was so behind on replying to all her emails, there were over 13,000 there altogether, she tried her best to reply to tweets she was mentioned in, Instagram comments, Snapchat ...

Florence only looked up from her phone occasionally to direct Cole, she was so behind on replying to all her emails, there were over 13,000 there altogether, she tried her best to reply to tweets she was mentioned in, Instagram comments, Snapchat Messages and all the other ways her fans could contact her, she didn't want them to feel like now she had her book published she was too good for them in anyway, but it was an impossible feat trying to reply to them all.

"Here" she said, gesturing that Cole should make a right turn onto her road, he did, he had been quiet, the only noise he made was nervously tapping the steering wheel.

She reached over and squeezed his hand.

"Cole, its fine, they aren't the judgemental type"

He nodded, but it seemed like he couldn't really hear her.

They pulled up into the driveway and she saw her parents waiting at the doorstep.

When had they begun to look so old?

It seemed like their age had been slowly creeping up on them over the years and then when she had left the house for Chase's flat it had just all gone crazy, her mother's forehead was now lined and her father's 'smile lines' around his mouth now looked more like wrinkles, streaks of silver coloured his usual ink black mop of hair.

Guilt rushed through her, she had been putting off this visit for so long, making up excuses without remembering that the two people who had brought her into this world weren't immortal, she should be treasuring her time with them, not feeling a sense of dread at returning to her family home.

"Here we are" she said, barely a whisper.

Florence unbuckled her seatbelt and then waited for Cole to do the same before wrenching open the car door, he followed her.

As they neared closer she saw a multitude of different expressions on her parent's faces, yes they had know that Chase had a brother who she was trying to help... what they hadn't known was that this brother was genetically identical to the nurse their daughter had adored.

Her Father stared at Cole blinking every few seconds in absolute disbelief, her Mother seemed to snap out of the shock-induced trance the quickest, she nudged her husband and stretched out a hand to Cole.

"Nice to meet you, you must be Chase's brother"

Florence inwardly flinched, that was possibly the worst introduction to give someone who saw themselves as only a brother to a dead person.

Cole still took her hand and shook it, a forced smile on his face.

"That's me, you must be Mrs Clarke"

Her Father had put himself back together again, he took held out his hand.

"Nice for you to join us today"

"It's my pleasure" 

Cole didn't sound like himself at all.

Florence's Mother reached for her and wrapped her into a hug, she breather in the cinnamon warmth of her Mother wanting to nestle between her shoulder forever, to be young enough to just stay here and not have to worry about tears or heartbreak.