How To Ruin Everything

Three years ago:

Chase got his report before Cole, of course he did . And of course he knew what was inside it because it was what was always inside it, he had received amazing results, his teachers loved him.

As for Cole?

He ripped up his report as soon as he got it, why waste his time and his parents time discussing my slipping grades, his 'toxic' behaviour.

It was something he realised quite early on in life, he could never beat Chase, he would always be the golden boy, there was no point trying to compete with him for anything, grades, friends and success, so instead of competing with him in a game he had practically won the day they were born Cole did the exact opposite, he became the rebel.

Cole's rebellious behaviour earned him much more attention than his good behaviour would have, He would have been second best to Chase but instead he was in a league of his own. 

Charlie was at the door, like she was every single morning, that was something he had never expected, that he and her would ever drift apart, we had been friends from the start, she had been one of them, one of the gang... but then she had met Chase and of course he had turned her life around, he had fixed her.

Charlie wasn't a failing student anymore, she didn't dye her hair black, she didn't wear eyeliner so thick that her eyeballs weren't even white anymore, she looked like a completely different person, standing there she could have been any old cheerleader, there was nothing special about her anymore, no spark about her.

"Is Chase here?"

Cole didn't reply, she still tried every morning like she could get him to talk to her by catching him off guard, he ignored her, she had been taken in by his brother, the good twin, they had been dating for four weeks and they already made him want to projectile vomit when he was in their presence.

"Is Charlie there at the door?"

Cole ignored him too, they had a rocky relationship the two of them, it was a myth that all identical twins could read each others thoughts, were close.

They had been close before Chase chose the books and he chose the parties.

Chase went to the door and pecked Charlie on the lips, Cole looked away as she giggled and rolled his eyes, they had plans to go to school today, he had plans to avoid school at all costs today.

"Cole?" his Mother came up behind him, she looked sad all the time now and he knew that was partly because of him, but mostly due to the fact that his father was having an affair with someone ten years younger than her.

Chase would have known what to do right now, his Mum's eyes were red and she looked like she needed fixing right about now, but Chase was gone and she was stuck with him.

So he walked over to her and wrapped his arms around her.

"Mum I love you, you know that don't you"

She began to cry, it was more common to see her crying rather than dry eyed these days.

"I love you too son, you and Chase are the only good things about this house, and don't for a second think that I don't love you as much as I love him"