Chapter 18

Roses pov

"Come Josephine in my flying machine and up she goes. Up she goes. Balance yourself like a bird on beam. In the air she goes. There she goes. Up up a little bit higher oh my! The moon is on fire", she then fluttered his eyes to a close. I then continued to cradle her, "come Josephine in my flying machine", I then slowly placed her softly down in her bassinet, "going up all on goodbye", I sung softly giving her a kiss on her forehead. I then took a seat next to her at my desk and continued to write my journal. I then heard the creak. "Hello?", I placed my pen down, "Caitlin are you back ye..-", I then saw him. I walked backwards straight into the bedroom towards Josephine. "No no NO!", I screamed as Lovejoy put a cloth over my face. My world then went dark.

Cals pov

"Nice work Lovejoy", he looked at me with lifeless Rose in his arms. He then picked her up bridal style and started to carry her out to the car.

"What about the child?", he stopped

"Well take it with us", I then walk over to the sleeping child. God she looks like Jack. I then wriggle my arms underneath and pick the baby up. "There there", I tried to not wake it up. I then bent down and picked up a few toys.

"Let's go Lovejoy", he then stepped on it. I looked back to Rose on the back seat. She looked like she was dead and me and Lovejoy were taking her to her resting place where no one would find her. Kinda exactly like what we're doing. The baby then wriggled and squirmed in my arms for about 30 seconds before it opened its eyes. All I did was stare at the child.

"What? What is it", Lovejoy asked looking over at me.

"The poor basterd has its father eyes", identical to the colour of the sky. I knew it was never mine. Has all the looks and parts of him as well. I then tried to slip the baby out it's blanket to reveal its gender. Pink clothing. A girl.

"Caledon what is it?"

"A little girl. Jack and Rose have a little girl", Lovejoy then pressed on with his driving while I tried to nurse and entertain her as much as I could. We then finally arrived home.

Ruth's pov

Cal invited me back to his place while he was in jail. He sent me letters wanting to know what Rose was up to. He vowed to take Rose back and marry her. Inviting me back to his house to stay until the wedding. I know Rose has had the baby, either thou I haven't seen the child up close in person. She and the girls are always parading around with the pram in the mall. They always stop and chat, playing with the Roses little girl. As much as Rose has that child now. She will not get in that way like he did of what was planned, and what is to come.

"Lovejoy?!", i yelled getting up from my chair to see Rose lying in his arms like she was dead. I then walked outside to see Cal emerge from the car cradling a baby. He didn't once look at me just kept looking at the dam child! I then followed him into the living room where he started to talk to her.

"Ruth, would you like to meet your granddaughter", I just stood their poised looking at him with her, "she's very beautiful you know. She's going to make a great man happy some day", I took one last look at them and walked out.

How despicable! How could he fall for the Dawson trance. He strongly resisted if the first time. Why not now? I know why. Because it's a baby. People love babies. Especially when they are all cute and dressed up. But as they grow up you know how much of a burden they are on you. Like Rose.

As the day went by the child screams went in and out. Every time she got louder then the last. Knowing that she has missed her feeding time from Rose being knocked out. I then entered the living room to see no one in there. I then looked to the ground and see her sleeping in her bassinet. Cal was right. She is quite the looker. No Ruth you can't do that. You have to remain strong like last time. Damn it. She's your grandchild. Your first grandchild. It wouldn't hurt to have a little hold of her. I then picked her up and nursed her in my arms. I then sat down in a chair and rocked her to sleep. Cal then reappeared and leaned on the fireplace.

"I told you she is quite the looker", he took a puff of his cigarette.  I just looked down at my precious granddaughter.

"Your right. She is quite beautiful isn't she", I stroked her soft little face, "there will be others. But she will always be the first", with that said I gave her my first kiss to her on her forehead. "I'm going to take her up Rose now", I then carried her up stairs and entered Roses room who was still asleep from the gas. I then laid the baby down and have her once last kiss before I left the room. I then looked over at Rose and stroked her precious red curls that I had given her. I then gave her a kiss and left the girls sleep comfortably.