Chapter 34

* 2 YEARS LATER*

Roses Pov

WW1 has just started. Many boys and men from Chippwa Falls have left already to join the fight. Thank god Jacks not here. Otherwise he would of been too. To die a horrible, horrible death.

Every time I walk down the Main Street it gets quieter and quieter. Less women come out of their homes and socialise. Less shops are open.  It's like a ghost town. But I'm not alone. I have Josephine in my arms.

She is now two years old and has blonde curly hair, big bright blue eyes, and porcelain skin like me. She has her daddy's bottom nose and smile, but she has my ears. But she's always happy and smiling. And she just learning to talk and walk at the moment. Me and Caitlin have been sitting down with her lately and teaching her. She likes playing with blocks and is in her touching phase at the moment. She loves eating and touching my hair. She always plays with it.

Some people know she's Jack daughter. Other don't. Some people I stay away from. Who continuously gossip about me. They all look a me before the whisper. They always comment about what I'm wearing what I'm doing. As well as some rumours people made up.

We have a few friends in town. But Caitlin has more then me. Everyone despises me here. They all look past or threw me. They don't even want to see me.

I walk in out of the grocery store trying not to look around. I walk out only to have a few girls snickering at me. But I choose to ignore them and walk straight home at the end of the street.

"Oh you back so soon!", Caitlin said surprised as I dumped the grocery bags down, "here let me take Josie", she took her off my hands. I then picked up the bags and put them in the kitchen. "I have something to tell you about Rose", she says hiding something from me.

"Oh yeah. What's that?", I put the groceries back.

"I got a call from Mr Brighton today. He has a movie role for me. In New York."

"Oh", was all I could respond with.

"Rose I know we've been here for quite. And I know your not happy", I then just looked at her, "Rose I'm not an idiot. I see the way everyone looks at you. We only moved here for you to get away from Cal and feel closer to Jack. That's it. And it sucks. And you know it. You're just ashamed to admit it to me. We've been here for two years Rose! What have we been doing this whole time? NOTHING!", she screamed at me, "we've never felt so alone and victimised in our entire life Rose. In New York you don't have that. They'll never have that. It's to big. And this place is to small! We thought things would cool over time but they didn't. And we're still the main gossip of the town. More then politics or the war. We have no friends here Rose! And I'm sick and tired of people's snotty looks and what they say about us Rose. I just want to leave. That's my plea to you. I want to leave and take this role. It's my dream role Rose. It'll put me on the map I'm telling you"

"Fine", I scrubbed up the dishes bearing all the weight in the words on my shoulders.

"Good. I'll put the house on the market and sell some furniture tommorow then", she then went up stairs and began to shove stuff in her suitcase. The faster we pack. The faster we get out of here, the better.

I then continue on with dishes scrubbing them hard till Josie started to cry.