5; Bad Boy's Going Soft

"My mum would've grounded the fuck out of me, man." Kaylin huffs, slapping her right fist to her left palm and pursing her lips while doing it. Emily cringes at her action and turns to look at me.

"I can't believe they didn't ground you. I am stuck at home with no friends over for 2 months."

I sigh, shoving my doodling book into my bag aggressively. Emily's parents grounded both Emily and Hunter, but let's face it, that's also like grounding me because I won't be able to come over to Emily's house, nor can she come to mine. I won't be able to see my best friend outside of school. Hunter probably won't even stick to the rules but Emily will. She did it just last night. I texted her, telling her I wanted to come over, but nope. I got a text back saying 'cant.. grounded. soz'.

Come to think about it, Emily never really was a rule-breaker. Sometimes she goes through a rebellious phase but definitely nothing as big as Hunter. At least now I know one thing. Never trust Hunter Landon Kings. Ever.

The bell rings throughout the whole school. Lunch is over. Here comes last period of the week. And also one of the worst subject of all time. Maths. Honestly, I can't understand how people can even remotely like maths. I mean, I am great at it, but it was never my favourite subject.

Kaylin and Emily both hug me before walking off to their own classes. I turn and walk in the opposite direction. I am completely drained from this week. I bet every senior student in this school is just exhausted. Teachers have been unbelievably hard on all of us. Giving us extra homework and a lot more quizzes and useless projects. It's almost like the only thing they want us to remember about school is the suffering we went through.

"Leah!" A voice yells from the top of the stairs. I pick my head up and blink when I see Serena standing at the top. Oh, there we go. She dyed her hair bright pink. I don't think I will ever get used to students strutting around school with bright red high heels and glimmering Chanel handbag. The last time I talked to Serena was when she sat next to me in class and proceeded to tell me she was gay. 

Honestly, I have never really been a pessimistic person but it's hard to think optimistic with Serena around.

"Hi, Serena," I greet her when I get to the top of the stairs. "Why aren't you in class?" She giggles quietly, looking around as if she doesn't want anyone to hear what she is about to say.

"I'm skipping science."

"Why?"

"Cause teacher's giving us a quiz today and I forgot to study."

I raise my eyebrows, not even that surprised that she didn't study for it. She probably didn't even know there was a quiz today. "Good luck." I start walking past her but she quickly side-steps to block me from going any further.

"Why aren't you stopping me?" She watches me with suspicious eyes. I study her face, looking to see if she's joking around or not.

"Cause that's your business. Do whatever you want to do but don't blame me if you get caught."

She stays quiet. The silence is agonising. It feels as though hours have passed, and with Serena constantly pulling off dazed faces it's hard to stay unspeaking. "Serena, I've gotta go to my class, but I'll see you later."

She hums in response before the charming smile that she always wears comes back. Her sapphire eyes light up with delight. What's her secret to being so cheerful all the time? I'll probably need to know when I'm broke and homeless after my high school graduation.