16; The Girl Clinging to the Bad Boy

I might be in love with Jesse Rutherford lmao. I was listening to him the whole time I was writing this and I got a woman boner

-

"Okay, that one's good." Kaylin points at the blood red coloured scarf as she lays on my bed, gobbling down the bowl of popcorn on her lap.

I grab the scarf off the hook and hang it around my neck. As I check myself in the mirror, Kaylin takes another sip of the coffee my mum made. Kaylin came clean about her hatred towards tea to my mum this afternoon after my mum offered to make her some warm tea.

"So this scarf looks better than the green one?"

"The green one is hideous. Throw it away."

I scoff at her remark. "I'm not throwing it away. You know what? I am just going to ditch the scarf altogether." I grab the scarf from my neck and hang it back on the hook.

"That's right. Give him some neck. A hoe never gets cold. Give the green one to me."

"I thought you said it was hideous."

"Hideous on you. I look great in every colour."

I chuckle, bundling up the green scarf in my hand and throwing it at her. She manages to catch it. "Thanks for the scarf. So are you excited for your date?"

I think about it for a second. "Matt's nice and all, but I just can't see myself dating him."

Kaylin hums with satisfaction. "I can see myself with him. He's hot and nice, what more do you want? I'd rather date him than Hunter, but then again, Matt doesn't ride the motorbike which sucks cause that would make him a thousand times hotter."

I only listen to her ramble until a knock on my door cuts her off. My mum enters, clicking her tongue when she sees Kaylin eating on the bed. Kaylin flashes her a sheepish smile but doesn't make any effort to move from the bed as she continues munching on her popcorn.

My mother scans me from head to toe, grinning. Her eyes sparkle as she moves closer, spreading her arms like she's about to embrace me. "You look great, honey. This boy is really that important to you, huh?"

"He's just a friend, Mum."

"Oh, sure he is. He's downstairs, by the way. He's talking with your father," she says as she adjusts my grey sweater.

I groan loudly and in the mirror. I can see Kaylin smirking at me. "Dad's not scaring him, is he?"

I tie my hair up into a bun, deciding that today it's too wavy to be tamed. My hair never cooperates with me every time I'm about to go out so sometimes I just can't find myself to even care or bother.

"All dads scare, Leah. Now come on. He's waiting for you. He's a handsome boy, you know?"

"Oh, Tracy, you should see his brother, Michael," Kaylin says to my mother. 

My mother smiles. "We should invite them to dinner sometimes."

Kaylin giddily giggles. "Don't forget to invite me too. I love your mustard pork."

"Thank you, Kaylin. I'll make sure to invite you. Now, are you ready to go? Where are your shoes?" 

I make sure my mascara isn't smudged once more before taking a pair of black sneakers. 

My heart thuds abnormally fast as I walk down the steps. I try to take deep breaths, convincing myself it's just Matthew. He's a good friend and we're going to have a great night out.