10; All Because Of The Bad Boy

I turn my head, phone still pressed to my right ear. A familiar figure approaches. "Matthew?" I watch as he steps closer, hands in his hoodie pocket. One backpack strap is slung over his left shoulder. He takes one hand out of his pocket and scratches the back of his neck, ocean coloured eyes roaming around like he can't bring himself to look straight into my eyes. As I wait for him to say anything I focus on the way his blond hair contrasts with the black car behind him.

He starts off with an almost shy tone, and suddenly I cannot bring myself to believe that he used to be one of Hunter's many closest friends. "Hey, Leah. What are you doing out here alone?"

I pull the phone away from my ear and end the call, not knowing whether to be disappointed or concerned that Hunter didn't pick up. "Just getting some fresh air," I lie, shoving my phone inside my pants pocket. "Where are you going?"

"Hannah Fray's. She tutors me. I've been failing maths and science."

"Right. That sucks. Good luck with that." My voice lacks sympathy because my mind is still hazy with the thought of Hunter's disappearance.

"Thanks. Do you live in this area? This is Hunter's house." He points toward the house behind him.

"I know. My house is a few minutes drive from here," I reply dryly.

His face lights up with realization. "Oh, you're here for Emily, aren't you?"

I nod.

"Cool." Pause. "I should probably go. Don't wanna be late. I'll see you at school, though."

I give him a small smile as he starts to walk away, and it's only when he rounds the corner when I reply back with a 'bye'. He's too nice. The complete opposite of Hunter. Matthew doesn't seem so problematic. I might consider starting a friendship with him.

"Leah, can you come in now? It's gonna rain soon." Just as soon as Kaylin calls out for me, the sky rumbles so loudly the ground seems to vibrate underneath my feet.

"Coming!" I call back, walking towards the patio where Kaylin stands, arms folded and shoulders raised like she wants to shield her ears from the stinging cold.

She grabs my arm and pulls me inside when I'm in her reach. "Why were you talking to Matthew Dibble?"

"He was just passing by?"

"He's cute. I would date him."

I stand back as she closes the front door, locking the door just as soon as the rain starts pouring. I immediately think of Matthew. I hope he's already at Hannah's place. "Go and try," I suggest.

She ignores me, ushering me to walk up the stairs. "God, the weather is so damn gloomy, I can't handle this. I'm moving as soon as I graduate. I'm gonna fly off somewhere tropical. I don't know. I might as well live in Hawaii or Bali or something."

"You're gonna go to college in Hawaii?"

Cain clicks his tongue as we enter Emily's room. "One of our friend is missing and you ladies are talking about going to Hawaii?"

Emily's sitting on the floor with her back leaning on the side of her bed. Her legs are tucked in close to her body and her chin rests on her knees. Her hair is tied up in a ponytail but it looks like she's been pulling on it several times. There are strands poking out all over the place.

Cain is laying on his stomach beside her, sketching on a piece of paper with Emily's colouring pencil. Kaylin sits beside Emily, resting her head on Emily's shoulder. "He's alright, Em. He'll come back."

"You don't know that," she mutters. "I just can't understand why he left so suddenly like that. He didn't even give us an explanation or a reason. Nothing."