20; Bad Boy's Call

"So, yeah. That's how I found out Vanessa was my step sister."

I smile awkwardly, sipping on my iced tea slowly to seem busy. There's an awkward silence as we gaze at the waves that overlap one another. I breathe in the smell of salt that lingers in the air. My skin feels hot and sticky, but I like it. I soak everything in as much as I can at this moment because I know I won't be back here anytime soon. The occasional breeze tickles my face gently.

I love the cold, always have and always will, but sometimes you start to really miss something that's not there. I barely see the sun anymore. Now I understand why Liam badly wants to live near the beach. This is just heavenly.

We all watch the surfers in the sea, defeating waves, and then disappearing beneath the blue water. Soon the sun is going to set, and I am going to have to ride back to my cold town.

I turn to Matthew, smiling when I see that he's looking at Vanessa, who's waving at a surfer in the distance. He plants his surfboard in the wet sand, waving back at her. Judging from his starstruck expression, I am guessing they don't even know each other. And also judging from Vanessa's lip-biting, I am guessing they'll probably have a fuck in the public toilet later on. Or maybe if they're both feeling bold, right here on the beach late at night or maybe even in the water. If I had her face and body, I wouldn't waste my time on quickies and one night stands.

I have the urge to reach over and play with Matt's blond hair, but I don't and instead only look at him. "Matthew, are you ready to go back home?"

Cory is watching us now, but Vanessa is still busy exchanging sign language with the surfer. Matthew glances at Vanessa once more but quickly looks away to look at me. "Yeah. We should go back before it gets too late."

Cory nods, pushing himself up to his feet and then offering me a hand to help me up. I take it gratefully and thank him afterwards. I dust the dried sand that's sticking to my butt. The tip of my hair is still damp from the ocean water.

"It was fun hanging out with you guys. Just text me whenever you have time to hang out here again. Vanessa's at the beach almost every day. We live right up there." Cory points at a white beach house just up on the hill. I can tell the house is two storey, with a beautiful balcony on the second floor, overlooking the beach. The house looks like it costs more than what my college tuition will be. "Emily would love it here. She would get along with Vanessa."

"Sure. Thanks for the drinks, Cory. We'll text you when we come back. Bye, Vanessa."

She gives me an uninterested smile and turns back to the surfer. I hold myself back from scowling as I turn around and trudge through the sand with Matthew hot on my heels.

"How small is this world?" He asks when we're far enough from the step-siblings.

"Exactly what I thought," I reply, itching my leg that's still sticky from the salty water.

He tugs on my arm pulling me towards the beach shower, his towel still hanging around his neck. "Let's rinse off before it gets dark."

My stomach grumbles as I rinse the sand out of my hair and ears. "I am starved."

"McDonald's drive-through on the way home?"

"Sounds good, husband." He laughs at this, cheeks reddening.

+

"You barely hang out with us anymore." Cain complains, leaning against the tree. Kaylin and Emily both nod in agreement.

I shrug. "Don't be like that. I've just been hanging out with Matt. I still love you guys."

"Would you rather choose him or us?"

"Stop it, Kaylin. I am choosing him if you don't stop complaining about how I never hang out with you guys. Do you see me hanging out with him right now?"

"Okay, geez. What's gotten into you today?" Kaylin huffs.

They all stare at me, dumbfounded. I frown, not being able to believe that I just snapped at Kaylin like that. I am about to apologize when Emily cuts me off.

"Hey, let's just give Leah a break." She gives me a knowing look. "Why don't you invite him to hang out with us tomorrow?"

I nod just as the bell rings. We all hug each other goodbye as we walk off to our classes. Now that graduation is nearing, I don't know whether I should be looking forward to it or worrying about what my future has planned for me.

A hand shoots out from an empty classroom, tugging me in quite harshly. I yelp as the person closes the door, blocking out the sound of students trying to get to their class.

"Matt, what the hell?"

He grins, holding out a small white box in his hand. I raise my eyebrows questioningly and he urges me to take it. 

"What is it?" I ask as I slowly open the lid.

"Happy birthday."

"My birthday isn't until Saturday."

"I know, but my family and I are going away for the weekend. I hope you like the bracelet."

I pry the lid open, careful not to spill the content. My mouth falls open when I see the beautiful, intricate bird charm bracelet. I run my index finger along each of the silver bird that hangs around the bracelet band.

"To remind you that you're not stuck in this town. There's a lot more to the world than what the eyes see. All you need to do is fly away." He chuckles. 

My heart swells at his words. What did I ever do to deserve a friend like him?

He takes the bracelet out of the box and puts it on my left wrist. I hold my hand up, admiring the way the birds dangle freely. I bet it looks even better in the sun.

"You shouldn't have. Thank you."

"Good thing you like it. I walked around the mall twice trying to find something good you might like."

"I love it. It's beautiful. Thank you."

"It's just a small surprise. Any plans for Saturday?"

"I might just invite some friends over for a sleepover. I wanted you to come."

"If I could, I would, but my family have other plans and they're not going to be happy if I say no."

I get on my tiptoes, wrapping my arms around his neck and embracing him. He gives me a friendly pat on the back and pulls away with a boyish smile.

"Now go to class. You don't wanna be late." 

+

Emily groans from beside me, her arms going limp as she leans her head back onto her pillow. Kaylin and Cain are snuggled up with each other, keeping each other warm. My eyes are still glued to the TV as I watch Thor talk about his brother Loki. 

I yawn, deciding to close my eyes for a few seconds. There are snacks and cups lying all around the couch. I make a mental note to clean everything tomorrow morning. 

Cain's quiet snoring slowly lulls me into a deep sleep until my phone rings. I groan. Who could possibly be calling at 11 o'clock at night? Surely they're not calling to wish me a happy birthday. They had a whole day to tell me. They wouldn't wait until the last hour to say something. 

I sit up, rubbing my eyes as I reach for my phone that's still vibrating on the table. When I see the caller I eagerly accept. 

"Happy birthday, dollface."

I grit my teeth. I can't say I haven't missed his voice. "My birthday's almost over," I say quietly to make sure no one wakes up. 

"Almost over, but not yet. Come outside, won't you? Alone."

-

I promised an update after Sunday but Sunday updates never hurt anybodyyy hoho