Phan- Colors

Humans are blind.  Blind to color, blind to emotion, blind to the passage of space and time.  A million sunsets have passed, and a million more will. And no human being will be able to see the colors that dance on the edges, see the joy woven into the sun, see the image burned forever into their mind.

I was eleven and Dan was ten the day that Dan talked about blindness. Dan was like that, young and wise at the same time. He said that while we feel emotion, we are blind to the full meaning of it and that conversation forever changed my life. It would always be in the back of my mind.

The next time we actually talked about it, I was 14. Dan had just had his first kiss earlier that day. We were in my room, on my bed and that's when he said, "I didn't feel anything."

He looked out the window at the shocking oranges and blushing pinks of the sunset.

"Remember what I said, about sunsets and blindness? I wanted my first kiss to have something in it. I didn't realize I was this blind." I turned him to face me.

"You aren't blind, Dan. She just wasn't the right person." He sighed and I could see in his eyes that he was rapidly losing hope.

Not sure of what I was doing, I leant forward and gently pressed my lips to his. He kissed back, and although it was breif, I felt something, a spark maybe, some feeling that I had no name for.

Dan's father lost his soon after that day and the Howells moved away. That nameless spark, that unknown feeling, it stayed with me for the rest of my life.

I never married, even though I was quite the ladies man in high school. My friends never knew how I did it, but I would go up to the girl of my choice, always with deep brown eyes, and tell them what Dan told me, and they would be mine for the rest of the night. I moved back to Manchester where me and Dan had lived as kids after collage.

Then one day, years later, as I was looking through a newspaper, I saw it.

Daniel Howell, age 72, natural causes

There was a letter written by a neighbor.

I only knew Dan for a year, but we were quite close. Every day he would go to the train station in Manchester and just wait there for awhile. He said who it was he was waiting for, just that it was someone he loved a long time ago. I hope whoever he waited for has had a good long life. He was so wise, always very philosophical. He told me once that we are blind to this world, that we'll never see certain colors or feel certain emotions. I will miss him so much and I hope where ever he is now, he can see those colors and feel those emotions.

Tears slipped down my face as I stared at the small black and white print of the newspaper. I finally had a name for the spark. Love. And Dan was right. We will never see every color possible, or feel every emotion. But as I walked through a light into Dan's arms, I felt as if I could name all the colors and recognize every last emotion. For I was with my love at last.

A million sunrises have shed light on the world, and a million sunsets have faded over the horizon. None have seen all their colors, and none have felt the emotion bursting from the sun. No human knows the whole, unbroken beauty that lies within, but maybe someday, in the far off future, someone will find the key to unlocking nature's secrets.

***************
I wrote this when I was feeling emotional, so it's kinda dramatic. I'll try to be less dramatic in the future.

Random One Shotsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें