Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Basically, I spent the whole night in the clinic without sleeping. It was a long night of confusion after finding out that Kauna ate the glass that had fallen in the living room last night.

I was still trying to understand the whole situation, up till now. It was morning and dawn had already passed few hours ago.

For the whole night up till morning, I sat in the waiting room of Tafawa Balewa clinic, the only thing that was close to a hospital in Mansur. I waited and watched a lot of patients and nurses go in and out of the clinic entrance.

I kept getting weird glances from the black skinny woman who was at the receptionist desk and I could tell that was the receptionist. She came in once it was 6 am and I almost jumped on my chest when I saw a lady with so much colourful make up on her face, with colours like orange eyeshadow and pink lipstick that didn't fit a very dark woman like her. She didn't look like someone that was from kaduna either.

There was one thing I wanted to tell her every time she looked at me and that was 'Get rid of that thing on your face'. I wasn't a fan of make up myself and seeing her face makes me less of a fan.

At the moment I am the only one in the waiting room and she is stilling looking at me. Her staring made me more impatient as I kept checking the clock to keep myself busy. Right now it is 9:30 am.

A young black Kanuri-looking man in his late twenties dressed in a white doctor's coat walked into the waiting room immediately. I could tell that was Kauna's doctor.

"Are you the one that came with the small girl?" He asked the moment he spotted me.

"Yes." I stood up immediately and walked closer to him.

"She's free to go now but I need to discuss some things with you." He said and turned around, "follow me."

He started walking into the hallway and I followed him.

"What's the problem? Is she okay?" I asked worriedly.

"How long has she been eating glass?" He asked, ignoring my questions.

"I don't know." I responded as we walked down the long hallway. "I only found out yesterday.

"Well," he stopped walking and turned to look at me, "she has hyalophagia."

I frowned in confusion. He continued walking immediately without bothering about my expression.

"What is that?" I asked as I continue walking behind him hurriedly. He was such a fast walker and if anyone saw me, they'll think I was running.

"It's a disorder. When someone is addicted to eating glass."

The moment I heard 'disorder' I almost let out a loud gasp.

"She has to undergo some medications at the moment because it is really affecting her mouth and it seems like she has been doing this on frequent occasions." He stopped walking again, causing me to almost hit him because I was practically running after him.

"This kind of condition often happens to children from broken homes. I wonder what your house is like." He shook his head, "You're her sister right?"