Chapter 38

A/N: As suggested by Amorejosiah , I have started putting songs in the beginning of a few of my previous chapters. Not all chapters will have songs, it's just mostly the romantic and intense chapters that will have them.

Chapter 38

Sunday was here. The day I was going to visit kauna in the orphanage.

After church and a small nap, I packed all her belongings in her schoolbag and prepared indomie for her and served it in a small transparent takeaway container.

I carried the schoolbag on my back and walked outside to meet Hamid waiting for me outside the gate. I stepped out of the house gate to see him there, leaning against his motorcycle and pressing his phone.

Once I shut the gate, he looked up and smiled at me before looking around me in confusion.

"Where are the remaining things?" He asked.

"This is all." I replied in confusion while raising the nylon bag that had kauna's indomie inside and turning around to show him the school bag on my back.

He pinched the bridge of his nose and stood up from his motorcycle to walk in front of me.

"What's the first rule of visiting an orphanage home?"

"Visiting." I replied confidently.

He folded his arms and looked at me to see if I was being serious.

"The first rule," He started slowly, "of visiting an orphanage home is 'never go empty-handed'."

"My hands are full, thank you." I ignored his statement and walked over to climb his motorcycle.

He didn't say anything and came to climb in front of me. He started the motorcycle and turned his head halfway to my side.

"We're branching the market first." He said and before I could argue he cuts me, "I pay, you carry."

****

And at the end of the day, he did both.

We bought three things for the children in the orphanage home; a carton of Indomie, Beloxxi Cream Crackers and Haansbro Noreos (Nigerian Oreos). And he carried all three cartons without saying anything.

As we walked to the gate of the market, since his motorcycle was parked outside, the soldiers by the gate stopped us to check our wrists. Even though they already did before we entered the market.

For the past one week, there has been a wrist stop and search in different corners of Mansur. The soldiers were searching for the children killer's scar that Sadiq described to us. Both men, women and children were searched. Even animals. Nobody has been caught with that exact description but a few men have been seen with something close but it didn't exactly fit such description.

We finally got to the front of Saint Margaret's Motherless Home. There was no gate and so Hamid parked his motorcycle in front of their green bungalow building before coming down to remove the three cartons that sat in between us.

As he was doing so, I looked around the big compound of the orphanage home. There were a few children playing on the small garden and playground beside the orphanage building and a few others were sitting in front of building entrance, staring at us like they've never seen human beings before. I searched around for Kauna but didn't find her.