Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"Davina! Kauna! Hurry up!" I shouted from the parlour, "We're running late for church!"

"I'm coming let me just put this mascara quickly!" Davina shouted from the room.

I groaned, "There's no fine boy in church! I'm just letting you know!"

"Okay!" Davina replied and ran out of the room, "I'm not putting it anymore."

I sighed and muttered, "At least one problem solved."

It was Christmas Day, which happened to be on a Friday. There was only one Mass which was by 8 am and this was a sign that the church was going to be full.

I glanced at the clock to see it was 7:45 am, which meant we were late. Like really late. All because of the limited amount of seats in church for a large number of people. However, the early bed catches the worm.

"Kauna!" I shouted while standing in front of the clock.

"Kauna!" Daniella copied.

Kauna was the last person to dress up and every one of us were waiting for her in the parlour. Except for Kaka, who couldn't join us because of the remaining work at home.

I didn't blame Kauna for wasting time. This was going to be her first time ever going to church- any church. It could be that she was nervous, or she didn't have any idea of what to wear. Even though the rest of us wore our best traditional wear.

"What's taking her so long?" Davina asked while fixing the strap of her black high heels.

"I don't know." I groaned and turned to face David and Daniella sitting on the single sofa.

I heard the room door shut and footsteps walking into the parlour. I sighed in relief that she was done.

"We can go n-" I turned around and stopped when my eyes caught Kauna.

She was wearing a hijab. This was the very first time she was wearing a hijab. And to go to... church.

The others turned to look at her and only Daniella let out a gasp. Before any of us could say something, Kauna spoke up.

"Ummah tell me that this is a beautiful attire for special day." She said while looking down at her red hijab, "and today is Christmas. Is it okay?"

I looked at her without knowing what to say. I see most women wear it everyday but it seemed like Kauna's story was different. And there's no way I could stop her.

I turned to look at Davina and Daniella, and we all looked at each other weirdly. Nobody said anything but just remained silent.

"I guess you can wear it." I said, hoping I don't regret my decision.

I walked closer and squatted in front of Kauna.

"How do you feel?" I asked, curious about how she feels about her first time going to church.

"Fine." She nodded and stared at me.

"Remember what I thought you yesterday," I said, "How to do the sign of the cross."

She nodded, "Up, down, left and right."