Chapter 27

Chapter 27

There were 3 reasons why I didn't want Hamid to work in my school. 1. Staffs and students were NEVER meant to date. Not like Hamid and I were dating or anything. Yet. 2. There was a 98% chance Hamid was going to intentionally embarrass me anywhere in school. And, 3. My after school face was ALWAYS a disaster. And I didn't want Hamid to see that.

School was over for the day and I was walking towards the school gate, getting ready to buy my usual gala when suddenly,

"Mariam!"

I heard my name. I shut my eyes in frustration and groaned to myself. Miriam this is just the beginning, prepare for more.

I didn't want to look back, so I continue walking to the gate, hoping that Hamid doesn't call me again.

"Mariam!" He shouted again, "School girl!"

Some students around noticed that he was referring to me and they started looking at me awkwardly. I covered my face in embarrassment and walked faster until I finally got to the gate.

And when I got to the gate, a hand pulled my shoulders to turn around. I turned around and looked at Hamid, who was now standing in front of me. A grin spread across his face and he seemed to enjoy the fact that he just, literally, embarrassed me.

"So you were just going to leave school without looking for me?" He folded his arms.

Before I could respond, I looked around to see other passing students looking at me weirdly and wondering why I was talking to a soldier. I quickly grabbed Hamid away and took us to the end of the school fence outside the school gate, where most students could not see us.

"Hamid!" I whispered loudly as we got there, then I looked around for any passing students and luckily, no one could see us. Then I looked back at him, "What are you doing?"

"Why are you whispering?" He whispered back.

"Because we're not supposed to be talking on school ground." I continue whispering. "It's dangerous."

"Oh really?" He whispered in a sarcastic way and rose his brows.

I nodded, knowing very well that I wasn't joking.

"Promise me," I said in my normal voice, "that we won't be talking in school."

He groaned, "What's the big deal? I'm only here because of you."

"In school... you're a worker and I'm a student." I argued, "I can get in trouble if they catch us being too friendly. And worse, you can get fired."

He just looked away and shrugged.

"So promise?" I asked.

He looked at me still annoyed. I gave a please-just-say-yes smile and he still wasn't pleased. But that didn't stop him.

"I promise." He mumbled.

"Thank you." I sighed in relief and took a step back, "Wait here. Let me quickly go and buy my gala."

I walked away without waiting for what he had to say. I looked around for the gala hawker, Mahmoud, until I saw him standing in front of the school gate. He was looking around, probably looking for me. Well, I was his regular customer.