Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"Does Kaka know about the Kajuru trip?" Daniella asked me while we walked towards the Mansur motor park.

"Is she supposed to know?" I asked back, knowing that I never took permission from Kaka.

"You're lucky Kaka let's you go out anytime you want." She said, "Our mother doesn't even let us visit our neighbors."

I turned to Davina and asked, "Does your mother know you people are going to Kajuru?"

"No." She scoffed, "I haven't spoken to her since the day we arrived. And I don't want to."

I didn't say anything but just continued walking. Even though I knew why she was not talking to her mother.

We arrived at the motor park- a place where people got buses, vans, pickups and trucks to travel to the other towns and villages. Today was very full because it was Sunday noon and a lot of people were traveling back to their homes because the Christmas celebration was over.

As we walked around, we started looking for where Hamid was as he instructed us to meet him here.

It was a very rowdy environment. People kept pushing each other as they ran to enter moving buses. Bus conductors and van drivers kept shouting, "Abuja bus yana nan!" "Bauchi! Bauchi! Wannan bus yana zuwa bauchi!"

"Have you seen him yet? These men are spitting on me." Wabani complained in disgust as she carried her little sister, Jana in her hands. As usual, Jana brought her baby doll with her. It seemed like she took it everywhere with her.

I looked around and held my phone up to call Hamid until David pointed in excitement and shouted, "Uncle!"

I followed his finger and saw Hamid and Junior junior standing in front of a white van. They were also looking around for us.

We quickly walked closer to their side and once they saw us, they threw their hands in relief.

"Finally." Junior junior said, "Enter! Enter!" He gestured for everyone to enter the van while Hamid opened the door.

I stood at the back as I let others enter the bus first. Hamid was inside the van and I didn't want to find myself sitting beside him after last night's thought of me being his potential 'crush'.

After everyone entered and it was just Junior Junior and I outside, I was relieved until Hamid came out of the door immediately. I shrieked and turned around to hide my face.

He noticed my weird behaviour and furrowed his eyebrows before smiling and shaking his head.

"Mariam." He called while facing me in front of the door.

I looked up and pretended I was not doing anything tricky.

"Hamid." I said lowly.

He was about to say something before Junior Junior came in between us and pushed us away from the door entrance.

"It's Miriam and Abdul, you daft children!" He shook his head before stomping into the van.

I rolled my eyes while Hamid chuckled and shouted inside the van, "Mutum! I'm coming back for you!"

He turned back to me and looked around before he asked, "You didn't invite Zainab?"