23. Forgotten?

My hand paused on the door knob, a wave of nervousness and fear setting in at the same time. The boys and Jamie sent me an encouraging look as I bit my lip, casting my gaze back towards the hospital room before giving it a push open. Hesitantly, I slipped inside and found a pair of familiar eyes staring back at me.

                “Hi,” I said shyly, sitting down in a seat near his bed.

                Zayn had his head wrapped up in a gauze that – I pointed out to myself with a wince – was bloodstained on the side. His big brown eyes were puzzled, as would anyone’s be when they wake up in a hospital, as he looked at me, assessing me as well. I had been able to change into an off-the-shoulder plain tee shirt and some denim shorts, but there was still a cast around my wrist and a few cuts above my eyebrow.

                “I’m Rose,” I said, my heart clenching for a moment as I had to introduce myself to my boyfriend. “Um, I know you don’t remember me, but… I’m your girlfriend.”

                Zayn froze. “Girlfriend?”

                I nodded, biting my lip self-consciously. “Yeah.”

                “Where the bloody hell is Saffa? Waliyha? Doniya?” Zayn asked me suddenly, eyes slightly narrowed as if accusing. “If you’re my girlfriend, then tell me where they are.”

                “You saw them earlier, right? I think they went back home after seeing you.” I told him, slightly annoyed by his accusatory tone.

                “How could I have a girlfriend I don’t remember?” Zayn muttered.

                I looked at the floor, not wanting to see the recognition in his eyes when he looked at me again. For a moment, it was silent between us. I could dream of my big reunion with him: we’d be hugging and kissing and holding each other because we were happy that we made it out alright. But as I dared to look up into his eyes, all I saw was confusion as he took me in, trying to jog his own memory.

                Whispering, I said, “I don’t know.” After a second, I took a deep breath. “I’m hoping that I can get you to remember.”

                His brow furrowed, expression softening. “Love, I’m sorry, but I really –”

                “Calm down, I’m not going to kidnap you and force you to remember.” I muttered, rolling my eyes.

                Zayn chuckled, making me smile. “How about I take you out on a date?”

                Surprised, I asked, “A date?”

                He arched a brow. “I thought we were dating. Isn’t a date normal?”

                “Yeah, it is.” I said with a smile. “Yes, you can take me out on a date.”

                “How does Friday work for you, babe?” Zayn asked with a smirk – the smirk I fell in love with.

                Laughing, I stood up and said, “Sounds perfect. I’ll text you my address.”

                He fumbled to get his phone out, but I shook my head, and he remembered that we were dating when he could remember so I had his number. Sheepishly, he flashed me a grin and I smiled back, turning so I could walk out of the room. Zayn called my name when I reached the door, and I turned around to give him a questioning look as he frowned at me.