There Is More Than Meets The Eye

In the living room, it was beginning to come alive with gunshots and mechanical tones echoing off the cemented walls. Aside from Leonardo, the rest of the reptilian teenagers took the time to continue the three-hour movie that was Transformers 4. The family had been great fans to the movie franchise. Donatello may have looked up on the movie and the internet didn't seem as happy with the finished products, but they simply ignored their hate words. The sound of excitement and explosions along with battling robots traveling around the world was by far the most exciting thing they could see for years underneath the New York streets. Instead of popcorn, the family had their master of disguise go out in the dawn of that morning to bring back some grub. The lizard lady, despite the bright white lights that lit up the store, was unquestioned as she shopped in the heavy clothes and gloved hands. It was Walmart after all.

Crunching wrappers were barely audible under the ringing sounds of gunshots. They mostly watched the movie because it was the last one made so far and their female roommates had yet to catch up on the excitement before the new one could pop up any day then.

Lingering in the kitchen, Leonardo watched them silently. His large frame leaned onto the counter, watching the TV from afar. The rooms were dark, so when there was a bright flash of light or explosion, he was able to make out the moving heads that jerked back in surprise. He sat back there, using one of his hands to moderately rub the side of his head. It felt good to him as if each swipe of his hand pulled away some stress that lived in his brain. It wasn't that he didn't like the movie (Optimus was his fave), but the events from earlier made him think. It wasn't normal for him to just get beat like that. Of course, his brothers have beaten him time and time again, but only because he reacted slowly to their predictable moves, just as they would react to his when they lost. But, this was different. Leonardo didn't know what was happening. Even the Foot were predictable and he just about fought a few for the first time and crushed them. Venus was here for how long? And she beat him by doing what? It was ninjistu for sure, but not the way he's seen it. After some hard thought, he knew the next logical solution was sitting next door.

Leonardo lifted himself off of the counter and ventured out to his sensei. The elder turtle almost tip toed to his father's quarters, as if the sound of the TV wasn't already disrupting the peace of their home. He stuck his head into the room. Splinter sat in his bundle of blankets over a child's mattress that was perfect for his size. The candles were lit, aiding him with light and scent while he kept his eyes in his book. Since Splinter had developed his skills in reading from his advanced intellect in part with the scientific experiments he was subjected to, the old rat found interest in reading novels as his escape. Donatello was the most happiest of this trait because Splinter was able to read complex stories and explain intricate details flawlessly. In his paws currently was a secondhand copy of Eat, Pray, Love. After some scrounging around, Raphael completed his father's three year quest to read the worthy novel.

"Master Splinter?" Leonardo spoke quietly to not disturb his father completely. His right ear twitched at the sound. His black eyes looked up from the words in his paws and saw his oldest son. His lips curled into a light smile as he rested the book onto his lap. Even from the distance between them, he could see the uneasiness of his child when he looked upon him.

"Come over, Leonardo." He advised. Obediently, Leonardo approached his sensei cautiously. This brought great surprise to the rat. Leonardo was always comfortable when speaking to him, but he was off for some reason. "Something is troubling you, if I am not correct." Leonardo nodded his head, keeping his eyes glued to the floor.

"Yes, sensei." Slowly, the turtle kneeled down before his master until he settled down in a relaxed position with his legs crossed. From this, it signaled his father that they may be talking for a while.

"What is it?" Splinter asked, anticipating his concerns.

"It's about today's session." He began softly. "Venus beat me." Splinter waved a hand to disrupt his son politely as he could.

"This shouldn't be about you being defeated by a female." The old rat warned. Leonardo wanted so much to stop his father from beginning that route, but his sensei kept him silent with hand cues and stern looks. "The opposite sex is no less capable of performing any grueling tasks you could do."

"Of course, Master, but that's not what I'm troubled about." He was finally able to express his feelings towards that aspect of the situation. Master Splinter's expression softened. He closed his eyes for a brief moment, registering his findings and opened them back to see his son waiting for him to let him continue to express his concerns.

"Excuse my assumptions. Please, continue." Leonardo nodded and began.

"Venus beat me, but in the craziest way. Her moves were unlike anything I have seen before." The image of Venus' flawless tactic continued to replay in his mind, acting as a haunting reminder of his incapabilities to see it coming.

"Venus is a skilled kunoichi with a human ninjitsu master who had been properly trained in martial arts."

"Don't discredit yourself in the making, sensei." He said sincerely. Master Splinter repositioned himself, moving his tail from one side to another. "So far, your students saved the world at least once. Their sensei hadn't." The comment put a little smile onto Splinter's face, which reflected back to his son who felt warm after complementing his father. Then, Leo's smile began to fade as his initial issue came back to him. "After seeing what she was able to do, I thought about how much more I could be taught. You know my hand-to-hand is solid and my swordsmanship is way better than most older than me, but after what I've seen, I know that I cannot stop everything that is thrown at me." The turtle paused. "I guess what I'm asking from you is to teach me something new."

Leonardo looked up from his hands and into the eyes of his Master. From what he saw was indifferent. With every second the rat failed to speak, it clinched onto Leonardo's heart that he would be denied the chance. Then, he saw Splinter's dulled claws stroke the sleeve of his opposite arm.

"New? Leonardo, I do not have that capability." He admitted sullenly. His ears fell down along with his head as it bowed in defeat. Quickly, Leonardo's thoughts rushed over him all at once. His voice stumbled and stuttered as he tried to speak. The turtle lurched out to his father. The turtle's upper body rested onto the lap and book of his sensei. His hands lightly grasped his fragile legs.

"There's got to be more that you can teach me!" He begged, feeling his darkest thoughts hit him in the gut. Splinter shook his head. It hurt him to see his son so upset to not be able to pursue his passions.

"I fear I have taught you all that I know." Master Splinter spoke low as he let his reassuring hand slide over the top of his son's bald head. "Everything now is keeping you all sharp."

"Master? If I could have a word with you." A voice came from afar. Splinter looked up from his son to see his other visitor. Leonardo turned his head as he lifted himself out of his father's lap. As the two looked at the guest, Venus stepped in front of Mona Lisa by the entrance of his quarters.