There's Been A Development

"Mistress Karai." He was finally able to find her as he caught her in the hallway of the underground estate. His steps were shuffling, holding his clipboard loosely in his hand, hanging by his side. Hearing both his voice and rushed steps, the new commander turned around hastily.

"Speak, Stockman." She nearly barked. The scientist caught up to her, making his steps choppier to slow himself down before her.

"There has been a development." He huffed.

"Our silent partner is making progress I assume?" He shook his head fast.

"Out of the ballpark." For some reason, Karai saw a slight change in his posture. Stockman was incredibly tall, but never had he spoken to Karai with a hunkered down back. "I mean to speak with you about Bebop and Rocksteady." He spoke quietly, possibly in fear that some rogue ear may hear him. Instead of wanting to inquire more about the development, Karai shook her head and turned the other way.

"I have no use to learning what they have done wrong this time." She sent her voice back as she continued to walk to her next destination. Her steps were fierce down the hall, but not so that Stockman would give up so easily.

"It's nothing of the sorts." He caught up to her once more. Although annoyed, Karai stopped to hear what he had to say. The scientist trotted ahead of her and turned to face the commander. She stood ready to listen. "The groups you have put them under command have begun to see some behavioral changes over the course of time." He explained.

"They are learning to be leaders; it is expected for change in their disturbing personalities. If they do not like being put under serious command no longer, they could always come to me, personally."

"But, it is not for the better." His arms shuffled around to bring up his clipboard to his face. His index and thumb gripped the side of his glasses, lifting them up before he began to read off the report. "Bebop was nearly caught by walking in broad daylight. His troop claimed that he said that there was a bell calling his name. As for Rocksteady, he shot four crates of bullets because he had a muscle spasm. Something is not right with them."

"They are testing us, I am sure." How much she wanted to bring them in and discipline them. Even as grown men, they acted as twisted children who could use a little check from her hand.

"As much as I wish I could say that is true, we have also noticed how unresponsive and empty minded Tokah and Rahzar are." He could feel her stony eyes judging him, asking how he could not have missed such a dominant feature of the underdeveloped mutants. He looked up to clarify. "I mean, even more so."

Karai gave herself a moment to think. Clearly, if a man as respectable as Stockman were to bring up such an issue, it must be more than meets the eye.

"Relieve the four of them of their duties until you can configure what is wrong with them." She instructed.

"Yes, Mistress." Stockman nodded as hastily as his steps were earlier. Remembering that she was on a mission of her own, the scientist made a quick getaway to put her plans into action so she may presume her previous engagement.

She rose from the underground laboratory by using the steps that led in the mansion above it. Her brother was out with his own troops moving ammunitions with the mutants who were now being pulled from duty. In such an empty house, the clicks of her boots up the staircase gave off a single echo. Her pace remained slow and steady as she hit the second floor. Karai had made her travels to a room with a closed door. She opened it slowly to not give any alarm.

The room was large for it was the bedroom of her brother. Still, the caution tape around it and much of the house had not been removed, but they had no interest in taking it down. Today, the room no longer serves her pathetic brother but for one who was much higher in importance than he. Karai approached the regal bed. A person lay underneath the sheets, rising and falling with every breath. The woman took to the chair at the bedside. The cushions of the seat squealed slightly when she descended upon it. Beside her, the iconic armor of her father stood vigilant over the bed. "There is no measly distraction that will stop our plans." She spoke into the quiet. From the lack of response, she stretched her hand out to the person in bed. Her nails and fingertips gently massaged the dark head of the figure. "Isn't that right, father?" she asked. With no words, he was able to nod some. The amount of increasing responsiveness proved that he was slowly becoming well, yet he was still unable to speak or open his eyes. Karai sat there beside him, continuing to massage his head that was growing black hairs around his scalp. The room remained quiet with the exception of the people's breaths and an eerie noise that could not be explained.