Obsessed

Later in the afternoon, the New York day life slowed down to prepare for its outrageous night life. In spite of the rush of the dark beginning to overcome the city, April was taking her time in her bedroom as she dressed herself for success. The young woman was finishing curling her ends in loose curls like she would do normally. On her body was a modest deep magenta blouse with black slacks and small heels. The heat from the iron as well as the natural heat coming from the summer air made her bedroom feel like a sauna. For some reason, her air conditioner was not doing its job correctly in her quarters. Finally done with her hair, April reached out for her doorknob to escape the heat. As soon as she pushed the door open, the cool air that filled the living room hit her face and refreshed it with its icy breath. April took her first breath of the cool air when she noticed that her guest had made her way from the kitchen table to her couch.

The young girl was sprawled out on the couch. As most teenagers would, her ears were filled with her own ear buds and music. Instead of her usual purple hoodie with her name on it, Angel sported a pair of long shorts and a white tee with "I Shot the Sheriff" plastered on it. Without her hat, Angel's box braids were removed of their usual look and were knotted up in a bun. The young adult traveled to the kitchen, lightly giggling to the partial whispering Angel did when listening to her music. Hearing the sound of her heels in the background of Missy Elliot's "WTF (Where They From)" Angel opened up her eyes. She was able to catch a glimpse of the well dressed woman before she disappeared behind the couch. Angel grabbed the base of her ear buds and yanked them down and out of her ears.

"Where you headed out to April?" Angel lifted herself up, putting her legs and knees underneath her as she overlooked the couch. April was searching through her small purse for her makeup bag.

"I have a job interview in a while. I might be getting a job as a reporter again."

"Back at Channel 6?" Angel questioned. April stopped her fidgeting when she found her small black bag. She unzipped the mesh bag and pulled out a fat black tube.

"Yeah." She answered, not at all sounding too proud of herself.

"Girl, if you need some backup, know I'm right here. I'll call up all my cousins and hang 'em all sideways." The Latina's lips protruded as she presented her two hands in the forms of guns over the top of the couch. April laughed and shook her head, then opened the cap to her rouge shade of lipstick.

"Thanks Angel, but I think I got it this time. Did you get your homework done?" She presented her lips to the small mirror she picked up as she carefully colored them.

"When you say 'done' " One of Angel's eyes were partially closed, holding it tightly in the same position as she spoke in an airy tone that beat around the bush. ",do you mean it's partially done so I could deal with it later or done as in-?"

"Completely done." April stated blankly. She shut the cap to the lipstick and stuck it back in its mesh bag.

"But I can do it later!" She whined.

"Why not now than later?"

"'Cause now I'm tired." Angels closed her eyes tight with her face towards the ceiling.

"Then you can take a nap afterwards." April was pleased to know that their little debate was at its end when she heard Angel groan and the sound of the couch creaking as she got up. Despite April's smile, the Latina scowled when she got near the kitchen table with her backpack lying on top of it. It was April's fault anyways that she had to do homework over the summer. Her teacher told her that she could be able to take Honors classes if she could finish the previous work other students have done. She shouldn't have told April so she could have a school-free summer like the rest of her friends, but nooo! April believed in her abilities to succeed above others. Angel made sure April heard her as she let the chair drag onto the floor, and then drag it again when she pulled herself towards the table.