Part One ~ Chapter Fourteen

“They may call me young and helpless, but inside I was strong.”
-Ethan 

-------------
 Chapter Fourteen

Matt had sent me away whenever I tried to talk about our parents' anniversary with him. I don't know why, my brother hadn't been in a good mood lately. So instead of hanging out with my friends in the evening, I decided to sneak out into town to get my parents a box of chocolates for their anniversary. I didn't tell anyone though; I did not want them following me. So stupid, fifth graders not being allowed to go out into town.

I told myself I would be back by dinner, that was always my favorite time of day because they had great dessert! The sky was turning a pinkish red, so I knew I had just enough time to sneak in and back.

As I made my way down a secret path in the woods that lead to the entrance, I noticed how eerie the woods seemed at this time of day. I don't know why, but I got the chills when I thought I heard something.

Just a bird, just a bird, I told myself. Not a serial killer.

Snap.

I jumped as I heard something behind me. Gulping, I looked around in the trees, but there was nobody there. I think all of the horror movies I've seen were getting to my head.

Suddenly, a dark shadow stepped out from the woods.

"Why hello Ethan," a voice told me. I gasped, realizing it was Mr. Grey.

"Oh, hey..." I tried to step to the side to bypass him, but he blocked my way.

"You're not going anywhere," he said gruffly, reaching out to grab me.

I felt something go around my mouth and then it all went black.

***

When I woke up, my head was dizzy and spots dotted my vision. I tried to rub my eyes, but realized they were tied behind my back. My breath started to pick up, making it harder for me to breathe due to the cloth around my mouth.

I had just been kidnapped.

By my teacher.

"Well, someone's awake," Mr. Grey sneered, who was leaning against a tree. "How pleasant."

Questions swarmed in my mind, I didn't know which one to say. Why was I here? What had I done wrong? Where exactly was I?

"In the woods, no one can hear you scream," Mr. Grey laughed maniacally.

I held my breath, realizing what the man was implying. Slowly, carefully piecing my words together I said, "You're going to kill me?"

"Precisely."

I struggled to get up, but my hands were tied and my energy was drained. Mr. Grey just chuckled at my failed attempt as I sunk back to the ground defeatedly.

"Come," he said, roughly pulling me up from the ground this time.

"W-w-where are we going?" I struggled to get the words out of my mouth, I couldn't even hear my own voice over my pounding heartbeat.

"Further into the woods. Just so nobody can find your dead body."

Was this really happening? Please be a dream, please be a dream. But when Mr. Grey pushed me forward and I winced in pain, I realized it was definitely not a dream.

There was a long silence as Mr. Grey led me further into the woods. His grip on me was so tight it stopped blood from circulating in my arm. How could this be happening? Why'd my teacher, one I'd barely know for over two weeks, want to kill me?