Part Two ~ Chapter Four

“If it was important,” I sighed, “he would have the sense to tell us.”

-Amy

------------

Chapter Four:

            Clothes were strewn all over the place, one shoe here one shoe there. The pillows were on the ground and a lamp was tipped to its side. That’s the state I found my cabin in that night.

            “Nancy, what’d you do?” I asked, putting a hand on my hip and sending her a look as I wrung out my damp hair with a towel.

            “Why would you immediately accuse me of something?” she asked in mock horror, looking pathetic as she stood in the middle of a heap of clothes.

            “Well it wasn’t Julia,” I shrugged, looking over at her. “And she’s the only other person here. You’re not high, are you?” 

            “None of your business,” Nancy turned her back to me and started to fold some of the clothes on the ground.

            “Looks like a tornado swept through here,” Julia commented, but Nancy didn’t snap back a reply. It was weird how distant Julia sounded when she talked, I felt as if her words were just those of a person I’ve met so long ago yet never got to know.

            Suddenly, the door was swung open with a big whoosh of air. I sighed, this was becoming a normality. Surprise, surprise, it was Kathryn at the door. And I bet she was here to yell at Nancy about the state of mess our cabin was in.

            “Nancy…” she said through clenched teeth, regarding Nancy with a weary glance. “Spill.”

            Wow, am I psychic or what? Maybe I should tell the future when I get older. If the whole doctor thing didn’t work out, that is.

            “What is there to tell?” Nancy squared her shoulders and looked Kathryn right in the eyes. Boy did I wish Tanya was here to brighten up the mood. The downpour of rain outside didn’t really make it any better.

            “I wasn’t born yesterday young lady.”

            “Yeah, you tell yourself that,” Nancy huffed and threw a bunch of pillows on top of the bed from underneath.

            “Excuse me?” Kathryn’s voice raised another octave. “What did you just say to me.”

            “Nothing.”

            “That’s what I thought.” Kathryn crossed her arms and stood in front of Nancy as she tried to get around to the other side of the room. “No I demand an explanation.”

            The tension in the air was building, I could tell. But Nancy didn’t seem to be budging anytime soon. Whatever she had done, it must have been bad.

            “No.”

            “No?”

            “No.”

            “Do you want me to raise my voice?”

            “Go ahead.” Nancy tilted her ahead, as if daring Kathryn to do so. Threatening to yell was only something that worked with a little kid, even I knew that.

            “I demand an explanation for this NOW!”

            Okay, I did not expect her to be that loud.