Ch.2

"Now class, today we will begin with a simple synopsis of the course and of course I am your professor Dr. Earls," the older professor began to count on his fingers as he lists the education material," basis of mythology and the reasoning behind it, multitude of creatures and folklore, instruments of mass destruction, and the plots to destroy the world or prophecies, but first let's begin with simple introductions. When I call your name stand and say some things about yourself, and I know you probably will not see half of these people tomorrow but that just lets you know who you should make friends with."

He began to list the names of my "fully interested" colleagues and the names of people I didn't care about. Well mostly, one of my best friends was in this class too, but he didn't care about the course like I did. He was just in it for an easy A, even though this was said to be one of the more difficult courses, but he always liked a challenge. His name, Jason Domingo. Six foot four, and as dark as an almond I've known him since 5th grade. He was someone I could confide in and someone who I could trust even in diffic-

"Mason Heartsgrove," as the professor jarred my attention from me the organization of my binder to the center of the room, the professor gave me a look as if I was supposed to teach the class but I know that wasn't the case.

I jumped out of my seat and was startled from the command but Jason whispered under his breath," Talk about yourself."

"Oh, right,"I coughed and spoke up," Hi my name is Mason Heartsgrove and I am a freshman who is studying to become a mythology major to become a teacher," I began to stutter and fell silent.

"Well it seems like you aren't going to be an English teacher because that wasn't proper grammar," he tried to mock me in the class but I was just as fast with the mockery.

"And that was a double negative," I knew that was probably a bad idea but I had the people with me,"I kid of course, but I do hope to work closely with you to strengthen my already high knowledge of mythology and the study of fables."

"Yeah, try not to get your hopes up. We still have a long time for this course," his tone said it all. I pissed him off yet I knew I could probably salvage the situation. I just sat back in the chair and hoped the shadows will hide me but fate isn't kind.

Jason leaned over "Well that was a dick move."

I whispered," Not like I meant it, or all of it at least."

The class continued on for the next hour and I was bored he just went over the course material. The course material was mostly just hitting the highlights of the fables: Norse mythology/folklore, Chinese, Greek's and Roman, Japanese, and American folklore.

"We are starting Norse mythical creatures and their origin's tomorrow, good day," he grabbed his papers and walked towards his office. I wanted to follow him, as a well-organized student I just needed to get his opinion on something. I walked down the third row and down the stairs.

"Dr. Earls, please a moment of your time." I waited for him to turn around.

As he turned around he spoke," Oh well if it isn't the smartass, Mr. Heartsgrove was it?."

A little uncalled for but not wrong," Yes sir, that's me but I'd like to ask your opinion about the organization of my binders for the class. Should I make it fables/stories, creatures, inside it containing origins, and then any footnotes in class? I just wanted to make sure I get the best out of this class."

"As flattering as it is to get 'my' opinion of your binder set up but this," as he pointed to us two," isn't going to be a regular thing. I'll be happy to get your opinion on some myths and what you took from them for a grade and I'll give you mine, but these people don't care about this class."

"Your right about that, but I'm not people. I'm an A student who cares what will happen to me after this brief four years so I'd really like your help with it."

"Ok, I'm glad you are so concerned about your life and at a young age too. I see you going far without my help but if I can help with the extra mile, I'll be fine with helping you," I was thrilled and I'm glad I could turn him around.

"Thank you so much. I'll be sure to be able to work closely with you on the things I have problems on."

"You know if you'd like you can shadow under me, I know it's part of the requirements for your diploma and it would help your resume and you can ask me in depth questions that could even be part of my class. Of course, you'd get no pay and hours may be odd but this is a once in a lifetime offer. I'll need your answer by the end of the day." He stepped into his office and I was speechless this man just offered me the best thing of my life I'd be stupid not to take him up on it.

"Dr. Owens, the answer is yes. Of course, I'd be happy to and I'd be an idiot not to take your offer now. When do I start?" I felt so jittery and I knew this was the beginning of something great.

"Great, great. You'll start next semester when my other aid is retired." He closed the door to his office and I was left by myself in the class, happier than ever.

I ran out of the classroom and hit the floor seeing a big brute standing there I couldn't see his face the sun only showed his silhouette.

"Oh my God, are you ok?" he offered his hand out, I reached for it but he jerked it back laughed and walked off. I sat there dumbfounded.

"Asshole," another guy picked me up and asked,"you ok?"He was tall, well dressed, and well mannered. He wore a white shirt, black tie and black vest untucked with some black slacks and dress shoes. Way to overdressed for the college crowd.

"Yeah, thanks," I shook his hand and introduced myself," my name is Mason Heartsgrove."

"Max, Max Lupin, good to meet ya'. I run the local bar."