Ch. 15

Alex said to me,"Who cares what we think?"

I thought of the years I spent with him and I never knew, maybe he didn't know for awhile either,"So it's kinda awkward I lived with the guy for over eighty years and I didn't know."

The stern vampire casual remarked,"He's my brother and I didn't know."

"Yeah, but we normally have to tell you these things," I shuffled around the many books in my cabin," you don't pick up on them so well nowadays."

"Yeah, I know but still," he followed me up the stairs finishing his speech," this puts a lot of things in perspective."

I asked curiously, "Like what?"

"Before we met, there was a time when Max was really happy," he fondled cured potions and spoke," Course he was doing illegal things, mostly just protecting bootleggers and alcohol shipments in the later 20's, but that didn't stop him from finding happiness."

I said doubtfully,"Are you saying he had a boyfriend in the 20's?"

"I don't really know," he finished," but after a raid on his gang, one kid he seemed to spend a lot of time with, died and he always acted oddly about it."

"Did he do anything about it?"

"You mean besides him getting intensively angry and killing everybody in that place, then no."

"He killed people! Was he wolf mode," I said putting my finger up to my mouth like makeshift K-9's," or nah?"

"He was full on 'Wolf mode'," he said with a slight chuckle,"well no matter what we should support him, cause full moon is coming up and we don't want to be on his kill list."

I quickly said,"Agreed."

"Well, I probably should call it a night," Alex slowly walked towards the door.

"Ok be safe," I say.

He spoke up,"I will just remember you have a meeting with a client on the fourteenth."

"How can I forget when you constantly remind me."

"Maybe you should learn from that," he opened the door to the morning shine," night, or should I say morning?"

I watched as he walked through the door, absent minded of how I felt towards him. Maybe, he did know and just wasn't telling me. I already had everything for the event but I always pack extra's in case I spill it or someone else wants to buy it, then I don't have to make another batch. I made my way through the book filled floors of my house and up the rope ladder I put in for Max when he was younger. We had some many memories in this shack, mostly bitter but in the end, we stayed together for awhile. I still remember teaching Max some magic, as having beast blood, he has natural magical abilities, such as his transformation. I wonder if he can still use what I taught him. He never cared for the stuff he said it reminded him too much of the odd parts of New Orleans, the place that kid died but I didn't know what that was about until today.

I looked over the wooden banister and looked at all the books I bought or "borrowed", and felt my phone vibrate in my boot. I grabbed the phone and swiped to answer the call, it was Max.

I answered with,"What's up, Mister Romantic?"

He said nervously," It happened again."

I replied calmly,"Another nightmare?"

"Yeah," he answered quietly.

"I'll be there soon," I said sliding back down the rope.

He said as I plopped on the floor," Actually can we come over there?"