Ch. 12

"What has my drab brother gotten us into now?" I say almost as bland as my comment.

The thinly dressed witch said from the bar," Alexander, will you claim down."

"I didn't think I was yelling," I responded.

"You weren't, but obviously this kid means a lot to him," she took a sip of her drink," Especially after what he's been through,"

I go to check the window and watch for when I see their shadows, I speak and my breath fogs the window, "What exactly is that Sabrina, we've all seen the same things."

She stood angrily from the bar, and yelled,"So you saw your whole family murdered? You spent most of your life as a beast that would kill anything if you couldn't control it!"

I coldly defend myself, saying,"No, you're right but I did live a cold life where I couldn't enjoy many things, it's not like you helped with that."

"That's not fair I didn't know if I would die tomorrow or you would so," she began to sob a little," yeah I cut you off and out, and that's a mistake I've tried to fix."

I turned around to look at her,"But you can't fix what was broken at the start."

I watched as what I said wreaked havoc over her, her witch's cloak danced slowly by her sides, her hat tilted and her skirt sagging. I did the only thing I could, hate myself more. What emotions I felt was nothing positive, but I remember times where I was. I never liked being a vampire, but the alternative was to kill myself. Growing up in a Catholic orphanage that was a big no and I'm still afraid of that, I was still religious despite my blood. The only way to change me back was to drink the blood of the vampire that changed me along with some other ingredients before I fed on any others. It had to be the first and the last human blood you'd drink as a vampire. Unfortunately, that didn't happen I went mad from hunger and that was not a choice anymore.

"You know that's not true," she finally said.

I said honestly,"Then you'd already have the formula to fix me and we wouldn't be having this conversation," I took two steps and watched her head look up," you're one of the greatest alchemists I've ever meet and I've met a great many when I was in England."

"Thanks, but your right it's really hard to find a plausible solution," she walked towards the bar again not sitting down yet.

I kiddingly say,"Then find an implausible solution," and turn back to the window.

"I'll try that next," she said as she sat down.

"This is taking too long, I think I'm going to go look for them," I said impatiently and began reaching for the door handle before Sabrina interrupts me.

"Do you really think that's the best idea," she said while turning to me in her chair," Max did say for us to hold down the fort and I just might drink the whole top shelf if you aren't here."

I pointed to the little green eyes in the corner,"He turned on the golems, he limited you to that drink."

"Damn I hate those little pricks," she said as she shuttered, probably imagine the clay munchkins coming from under every table. They weren't normal golems they were just designed to stop people from doing something or alerting you to someone's presence, but since Max is a werewolf he doesn't need help in that department.

I noticed the eyes blink and realized Max turned them off," He's here."

Mason barged through the door and started spouting random nonsense that was hard to understand, most sounded like questions while others sounded like shrills and jibber-jabber.

Max walked in with a smile and some cuts in his clothing but seemed fine, he said over the screaming,"If you can't understand any of what he said that's fine cause that's what I've dealt with for the past ten minutes."

Mason quietly stopped, grinned, and looked at him, saying," Amoung other things."

"Oh, dude that's disgusting, keep it in the bedroom," Sabrina said.

Shocked at what Sabrina had said responded,"What NO that's not what I meant," he put his hand on top of his head and said," Sorry, but I'm so excited to find out the world I never even knew existed was real from the beginning. It's so amazing!"

I spoke up saying,"Not really we still have to pay taxes-"

Max interrupted,"Rent-"

"Witch hunts," Sabrina finished.

Mason quizzically said,"How often is there Witch hunts?"

She finished her drink and said,"The priest in the area do yearly hunts."

Mason asked another question,"Oh, how come I've never heard of this?"

She said truthfully,"Cause it's reserved for the higher archy of the church."

"If you think this is bad he asked me if I was in my wolf form and he scratched my stomach would I do that little leg twitch thing,"

Sabrina laughed and asked,"And the answer?"

He said quietly," I don't want to talk about." Mason put his hand behind Max's ear and started rubbing and he looked like he was about to fall to the floor and ask for belly rubs," Stop it."

Mason threatened him saying," Ok, I'll remember that though."

Max blushed and he defeatedly said, "Keep going then." Mason kept rubbing behind his ears till he was practically drooling.

"I don't think I knew he had this much wolf in him, and I lived with him," said Sabrina uncomfortably.

I said,"Yeah, this is just awkwa-"

"No one speaks of this," Max furiously interrupted me.

Mason stopped rubbing and Max looked extremely sad, he said,"Ok, this is boring me a little so I'ma ask some questions,"

Sabrina started talking and nothing but her sarcasm escaped her mouth,"Go ahead must be killing you to ask like how did this happen, why do we live like this, or how about the big one why does no one know about us? Why don't we go public guys?"

I spoke up reassuring Max I was fine with this,"Cause you know exactly why. Mason just ask your questions."

"Thanks, but I don't care about that stuff," Mason's lackadaisical speak surprised me but really surprised Sabrina.

"What?" she said,"Why not?"

"Cause I don't care. The one thing I care about is," he fell silent for a moment.

"You can say anything to us we just shared the biggest secret of our lifetimes to a human soooo."

"The only thing I care about is," he exhaled deeply,"I don't want to get in the way I know you all had lives before me. So, if I become an inconvenience just let me know and I'll walk away no questions asked, no secret spilled."

"That won't be necessary, Mason," Sabrina said surely," just because you're a kid doesn't mean we won't let you into our little monster clique."

Max stepped infront of Mason, he said,"Wow, thanks, Sabrina. That was really mature to say."

She sipped her martini and said,"Besides if you do get in the way, Max can always make you a werewolf then you can't leave."

"NO! I don't want that!" Max yelled his front teeth exposed and hair beginning to surface," I'm sorry it's just. You change when you become a wolf and you act differently. I don't want that for Mason, I don't want to have to deal with leaving everything he has behind."

"Don't worry Max," I said cautiously," I'm sure Sabrina was kidding."

He went back to normal and turned to Mason,"Whatever, Mason you ready to go?"

"Yeah, but don't do that again, please," Mason said, he looked scared.

"I'm sorry, won't happen again," he opened the door,"Let's go."