Ch. 6

"Was there someone at the door," I said as I wipe away the rest of the water from my ear and get some orange juice.

"Yeah, it was just maintenance asking if the appliances were running good." He said as he plopped on the floor. I still felt bad offering him to stay and not have any furniture.

Glad to reassure him I spoke up"Ok, well next time I see them I'll tell them that the water pressure and heat are great," I took a sip of the pulpy juice and said," If you want to go take one you can use my soap and stuff."

"Nah, I'm fine." He seemed kinda out of it but he was fine before so I just dismissed it.

"Well, I've got my TV set up in my room. Come one let's see if we can find a movie or something."

"You got Netflix right?" he says as he tries to stand," I'm watching this really funny show."

I finish my drink and walk towards Max feeling awkward since I was dressed only with the towel around my waste,"Ok sounds great what's it called."

"Grace and Frankie," he said quickly.

"Isn't that the one with the old gay dudes?" I offer him my hand to help him up.

"Yep, that's the one," he says as he reaches for my hand. 

Missing, he hit my towel knocking it to the floor, leaving me completely exposed. His cheeks turned cherry red as I try to grab the towel on the floor trying to save what dignity I had left." I'm so sorry," he said as he tried to lower his gaze to the floor.

I just sort of laughed it off but I was embarrassed this dude told me he was gay earlier and here I am naked he must think of me as some sort of tease, but I just felt like a jerk. How is it that something completely accidental that he did can make me feel awful. "Come on, let's not worry about it."

"Ok," he said as he fell silent. Embarrassment, regret, and an emotion more difficult to read was framed on his face. I helped him to his feet and he looked me in the eyes. I stared into those sad eyes if he hadn't told me about his family I would have seen it in those eyes. He wrapped his arms around my cold body and held me, whispering apologies in my ear.

I felt something on my neck but I didn't process it because of this man holding me. I felt so weak around him, forget strong enough to conquer the world. His intentions made me question how I felt, I was up for trying anything once. Maybe this could be one of those things. I look at the top of Max's head as he wrapped himself around my neck. I lifted his chin and looked him in his sad eyes, he was crying. I move in closer to him till my lips touched his. I felt a tear dance across my check and I pulled away, to wipe away his tears. This strong man who held me tightly wasn't afraid to cry and open up to me.

"Um, I didn't mean to. Um, I ju-," he interrupted my confused talk with his lips.

"Don't talk. Please, I just need you to be quiet," he swept me off my feet and started to carry me to my bed.

"What are you doing?" I said as he set me on the bed and set down by my side.

"Put some clothes on. I'm tired and I'm not sleeping next to someone naked."

"Oh. Ok," I felt sad that was over did I overstep some boundary. I stood and he grabbed my hand as I turned to look at him, he kissed me.

"Don't think I didn't enjoy that," he smiled and let go. I put on some boxers and a tee-shirt and turned to see Max undressed. He grabbed the TV remote and turned it on to Friends and plopped on the bed. "Let's get this sleepover started."

I just laughed," What do you want to do."

He just shrugged and leaned in," What to do," he said walking his fingers up my thigh.

I pushed him over," Your such a tease."

"Said the one who got naked in front of me," he laid down and stretched out.

Flustered I hit him with a pillow," You're a jerk."

He sat up and put his hand on my face," I didn't mean it."

I let out a sob,"Yeah you did."

"No I didn't," he rested his forehead on mine,"I didn't mean it."

"Ok, fine I believe you," I shifted around and Max collapsed on top of me,"Max, are you ok?"

He just grumbled and snored, fast asleep. His body heavy and warm, he shifted holding my sides, chest on mine, and his head resting under my chin. How did we get here? Maybe this is why he gave me the food or maybe why he wanted to walk me home. Did he play me? I don't care, we didn't do anything wrong. It's confusing to describe how I feel. I'm mad yet happy to have someone like this. I've never had this, someone who cared about me like this. I came from parents who had me just because, I had everything. I had a place to stay, people to care for me, people to educate me, I didn't have to leave my house. I never liked that place I was closer to my caretakers than my actual parents. I was a trust-fund baby, but I wanted to avoid that life. When I met kids they always treated me different. They only wanted me for the money, the popularity, the fun. It hurt not being able to connect to people the way I wanted, but this man walked in my life not knowing who I was and treated me for who I am. A kid who only wanted to be normal, to have friends, to be in a relationship, and to have a college life, but this life isn't my life this is only a dream that I wanted.

This night made me think so much but it also exhausted me. I let my mind wander and my eyes follow the ceiling fan hypnotizing me to sleep.