Chapter Twenty-Eight

Since I was not working from home I was in my kitchen working on client profiles for Lincoln. It seemed like this all I did now. I guess in a way I would miss this and in a way I wouldn't. I would miss feeling important or like I meant something to someone. However, I did like working this way better, I didn't have to get all dressed up or do anything to my hair. I could eat what I pleased and when I pleased.

"You look like you're stressing." I looked up at the voice to see Lincoln standing in my kitchen. I scrunched up my nose. "What are you doing here and how did you get in here?"

"Um Brianna let me in." I rolled my eyes. I was going to kill that little girl. "She shouldn't have done that."

"Look I know we haven't been on the best of terms but I came to see if we could talk."

"Talk about what?"

"Us."

"There's no us Lincoln. I have told you this already."

"I know and I came to tell you that you were right. We didn't make a good couple, I just got mad I guess that I had lost. I don't really like losing." I sat up from my computer still not believing the guy in my kitchen.

"And what made you come to this conclusion because the last time I checked you didn't want to be my friend." He scratched the back of his neck sighing heavily.

"I know I was a total jackass to you, not only recently but a lot, and I want to fix that and say sorry to you about all of it. I shouldn't have reacted that way to you."

"Wow. Never thought I would see Lincoln Charleston be so human." He laughed a little.

"So does this mean you forgive me?"

"Forgive is a strong word but I don't hate you or want to kill you anymore, is that better?" he nodded laughing coming closer to me. He sat down in front of me at the table smiling wide now. "You know I've missed you Samaria?" he was now playing with the end of his shirt sleeves.

"Yea I bet." I closed a file and put it on the stack with the others I had finished. "I'm serious. It's not the same not having your best friend around to talk to or laugh with. I guess that's why I got so mad when you said we weren't meant to be together because I thought I was losing my best friend. I already lost you once because of my messed up attitude, I don't want to lose you again."

"You know you can be real sweet when you aren't being a complete asshole," I said smiling. I did like being friends with Lincoln, it was when we tried to be something more that things got messy. We were invincible when we were friends but when we tried to be more, we fell apart tragically.

"So tell me what's up with you and Mr. Steele?"

"Now you're just being nosey."

"Maybe but you have to admit something is going on between you two. He couldn't have been happy that you decided to quit."

"Actually I think he is thrilled that I quit."

"Why would you say that? I thought you two had something?"

"We did but I was too stupid to see it and by the time I did see it, it was too late and he had already pushed me out of his life. He completely shut me out."

"Wow, didn't see that one coming. I thought he would never let you go." Just talking about this was making me sad. I was tired of having to think about my failed love life and I was too stupid to see what was right in front of me. I guess I never thought Lucas would have those kind of feelings for me. Yea it was nice and sweet but something in me just blocked me from thinking otherwise.