Chapter 4

Severus and Albus walked in silence towards the Gryffindor Common room where little Ara Black was sleeping in front of the fire, curled into a ball. It was hot, for summer in the castle but, Ara didn't seem to mind it.

The Fat lady painting had swung open as Albus and Severus walked in front of it"Poor dear cried herself to sleep"She said 

Albus nodded for Severus to enter"Go ahead, my boy"

Snape's dark eyes had widened"But, she's... and I... she's a child"

"A child you promised to take care of"Albus told him with a smile"Now go, you'll know what to do"

Severus sighed but didn't see a point in arguing with the old wizard. He stepped into the common room and winced at the sight. Reds and golds attacked his vision and it made him glare around the room.

"Who are you?"

Severus turned to the tiny voice, and his eyes had softened at the girl sitting in front of him. She was image of Diana, soft brown eyes, the adorable nose, and the full lips. But the short raven hair reminded him of Sirius Black.

"I'm Severus"He drawls"I was a friend of your mother"

Ara's brown eyes narrowed"Where is FurryClaw"

FurryClaw. He remembered that nickname, He had once heard Potter and Remus call her that, along with those other dull names. He never understood it, but found himself hating it when Lily called Diana FurryClaw. It seemed like the childhood nickname stuck. 

Severus sat beside Ara, and looked down at the girl with pitiful eyes"Ara"He had begun but Ara already understood. She let out a small but heartbreaking sob, and clung to the black robes smelling of musk.

Severus didn't have the heart to leave her, push her off. He awkwardly wrapped an arm around her as she cried once more.