Chapter 6

It had been itching at Severus for days now. 

"Ara?"

Ara looked up from her drawing"Yes Sev?"She still wouldn't say his name

"Why do you bring that bear-"

"Lynx"Ara corrects him, like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

Severus sighed but nodded"The lynx everywhere you go?

Ara looked back down at the table where the Lynx was across from her, she liked to think it was watching her"Mommy and Daddy got it for me"

Severus barely heard the words, this was the first time she referred to her parents as Mommy and Daddy instead of FurryClaw and PadFoot.

"Oh?"He didn't want to press

"Both of them are gone now"Ara mumbled"This is all I have left"

Severus had opened his mouth but closed it again. What could he say to that? His cold heart had melted and broke for the small child.

Ara suddenly looked back up and grinned wildly as if she had the best idea in the world. She didn't dwell on things that made her feel bad"Hey Sev?"

Severus looked up from his paper"Ara?"

"Could I help with a poten?

It took the man a moment. But when he finally understood what she asked, he had chuckled. A unfamiliar sound.

"Potion"He corrected"And no, you may not"

The grin on her face fell and was replaced with a pout"Why not?"

"It's dangerous"He told her firmly 

"But I'm a big girl"

"Absolutely not"

Her puppy dog eyes had enlarged and tears swelled up in her eyes. Severus tried to look away but the thought of Diana begging him to leave with her for Christmas overwhelmed him. He couldn't look away, and he couldn't say no.

"Alright"

With a high pitched squeak she threw herself onto his lap and into a hug. He'd almost gotten use to the hyper attitude.

"I need to get some ingredients first"Severus told her as she let go, but stayed on his lap"I called Molly-"

Ara giggled in joy. Her funny twin friends were coming!"When is she going to be here? Is she bringing the twins?"

"No, she's taking you to her house"Severus was beginning to wonder if this was a bad idea. Those boys were trouble"She'll be here soon"

Ara giggled again and slid off his lap and back to the coffee table were she continued to draw.