Chapter 7: I Knew It

Sometimes the strongest people are the ones who love beyond all faults, cry behind closed doors, and fight battles nobody knows about. -Unknown

"It's not a good idea to meet up again for a while."

"So you want to see me again?" I nodded my head.

"But unless you want all hell to break loose, he can't know."

"I'm okay with that. But how are you going to contact me without a phone." I looked at the phone that I had murdered last night and shrugged.

"I'll find a way." I found a scrap receipt in my purse from the convenience store and a pen in his car. "Write your number down on this. I'll invite you over the next time Zach's out again like last night." He smiled and fulfilled my request.

"I almost feel evil for sneaking around and lying to a guy I don't care about."

"I do feel evil for sneaking around and lying to a guy I call my boyfriend." I smiled back genuinely for the first time in a long time. "But I don't care about him either." I quickly thanked Mark for everything and hopped out of the car.

I watched him drive away then retreated back into the motel room. I thought I'd left a light on inside, but it was all dark, the curtains and blinds making the room almost pitch black. I sighed and turned on the table lamp.

"Glad to see you're back." I screamed and quickly found the source of the voice. "So where were you?"

"Oh. I-it's just you. God dammit don't do that to me!"

"Answer my question. Where were you?"

"I, um...I-I was taking a walk."

"Funny. I thought I heard a car door slamming outside and then it drove away."

"That-That was just someone else. I don't know who. The car was waiting for them and they got inside-"

"Don't lie to me." I gulped. What would he do now?! He stood up from the chair and slowly took a few steps towards me. "Don't be so scared. I already know you were out with him."

"I swear nothing happened! All we did was talk and he made me some food and that was seriously all that happened!"

"So you weren't at home when I called."

"No."

"That was his bathroom."

"All I did was run in, close the door, turn the shower on, and answer the phone. I swear that is all that happened! I was in there alone. I swear it on everything I have." The look in his eyes was not a good one. He was obviously angry. "Please, I was just trying to tell him that he and I can't be friends and that we can't see each other. Please, you have to under-" His hand flew against my face, sending me falling to the floor.

"Get up you bitch." He pulled me up by my clothes and threw me on the bed.

"Zach, please! I'm telling the-" He didn't listen. He sat right on top of me and hit me again.

"DON'T YOU FUCKING TRY TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO! I OWN YOU. YOU DON'T FUCKING SEE  THAT ASSHOLE AGAIN!" He kept hitting me, harder and harder. When I screamed, he would cover my mouth his hand and hurt me some more. A knee in the ribs, a bite on my shoulder, and a couple punches. "If you know what's good for you," he whispered in my ear. "You'll leave him alone forever." He ripped off most of my clothes and turned the table lamp off. "Now shut up and let me do my business."