Chapter 8: Monster Unleashed

I cannot change yesterday, but I can change today -Unknown 

So I waited. I took a shower, threw on the cleanest clothes I could find, and sat on the bed all day. Sometimes I'd turn the TV on and see what was on, but find nothing and turn it off again. I'd turn on some music from my mp3 plugged into the speakers we had, but I didn't really know what to do with it. In the old days, I'd either write or draw while listening to my favorite bands. But I had no will to do any of those things. Not now.

The night fell and he still wasn't back. Maybe he'd decided to abandon me. Maybe he was stoned or drunk in the streets with everyone he called a "friend". Maybe he was dead in a gutter somewhere and I was finally free of him.

No. He walked through the door at about a quarter to 11, smelling of drugs and sweat.

"I see you're still here." I nodded in response. "I guess you did learn your lesson then."

"Yes. I did." It's better to play along right now. I don't want to anger him at this very moment, or ever again really. "I thought we could go for a drive. It's a nice night. Maybe we could reconnect some?"

"I've been out all day. I want to sleep."

"Please?" He looked grumpy already, but I needed him to listen to what I had to say. I pleaded with my eyes, hoping he would give in to my one request.

"Fine." He threw me the keys and headed out the door again.

"You can put on whatever you'd like," I told him as I climbed into the driver's seat.

"I don't care. Put on what you want."

"Really?"

"Yeah. As long as it's good." I shrugged and dug through the middle compartment for one of my favorite cds and plunked it into the cd player.

We drove for a little while. Zach stared out the window as if nothing mattered and barely listened to a word I had to say.

"I told you it was a nice night. And look, no traffic! That's a rare occasion for LA isn't it?" He shrugged. "So did you hang out with Connor and the guys again?" A slight nod. "I hope you had fun." Nothing this time. I sighed and kept driving.

Soon enough I parked along the street right before Mark's apartment complex. I could only hope he hadn't gone to bed yet in case something happened. I turned the engine off and turned towards Zach.

"Look, we need to talk."

"We are not breaking up, understand?"

"That's not what I want to talk about." He groaned and ran his hand down his face. "Come on, babe. This is serious."

"I'm not really in the mood for talking."

"Please? It's about us." He sighed heavily and turned to me.

"Speak."

"Okay, well, um."

"I said speak not stutter."

"Sorry." This already wasn't going well. "So, I was thinking. I've been an awful girlfriend these past few days."

"Yes you have."

"But you have been a little...aggressive as well."

"I have not!" He reached into the car compact and pulled out a cigarette and a lighter.

"Please listen. I'm trying to be as nice as possible."

"Then be nice, not a liar." He lit it up and blew smoke out of his mouth.