Chapter 13: Professional Morons

Someday you're going to meet someone that makes you happy, makes you feel beautiful, and stands by you even when you feel like you don't deserve them. -Unknown

It's been a couple days since I started working at the coffee house. To be honest, it was probably the best job I'd ever had. It was hard work, but I loved it anyway. Monique was really nice to me and my coworkers treated me not only as a human, but as a friend.

Mark and I hadn't spoken much, because we were both so busy, but at the end of the day we were able to say good night to each other as he trudged up the stairs to his room and I crashed on his couch. I was still a little weary about him touching me, so we haven't even shook hands. This killed me though since all I wished we could do was cuddle of the sofa and make out in the middle of a TV series marathon. I guess his playful wrestling match shook me more than planned.

I was taking Dennis and Arielle's advice though. I was trying to not think of the past and let it affect me now, but instead focus on work and coming back to the real world. But when every night I have nightmares of the horror I had to go through and see Zach's evil smile and menacing eyes peering down at me, and end up waking up screaming my lungs out, it's kinda hard.

I'd just gotten back from my shift and was getting a snack from the fridge when my phone started ringing. I put the yogurt on the counter and rushed to grab my phone on the couch.

"Hello?"

"Hello Alexis? This is Dr. Jules."

"Oh hi! How are you?"

"I'm doing well, thank you. Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just dandy."

"Anything out of the ordinary?"

"No. Why?"

"Well, I actually called to update you on your test results."

"Oh...that."

"I wanted to let you know that you should come in tomorrow so we can look at them together. We received them this afternoon, but I have a strict policy of not looking at them until I at least notify the patient beforehand."

"Thank you. So tomorrow...we'll see if I'm sick or not?"

"Yes. I can schedule you in for 11:30 if you'd like."

"Yeah, that sounds great. Thank you so much."

"Are you nervous?"

"...Very."

"That's normal. I can only hope you do not have any illness."

"Same."

"I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Yes." We said our goodbyes and hung up.

I grabbed my yogurt off the counter and sat down on the couch shoving spoonful after spoonful of the lemony substance into my mouth. Pretty soon, it was gone. I stared into the empty void that used to hold the contents of my snack, and threw that and the spoon against the wall. I threw my head back and pulled on my hair, letting myself cry as loudly as I wanted.

"Why does this have to happen to me?!" I kept screaming. "Why me?!" 

I looked around the apartment as my tears rapidly fell down my face and wondered if it was even worth it to be in this place. Putting Mark through all this shit again. He deserves so much better, and I shouldn't get in the way of his happiness. He hasn't been happy since I came into his life. Maybe if I left correctly this time things will get better for him?