Chapter 14: Scared and Alone

Sometimes we need to stop analyzing the past, stop planning the future, stop figuring out precisely how we feel, stop deciding exactly what we want, and just see what happens. -Unknown

I can't remember the last time I had a good night's sleep. I still had my nightmares and woke up, bu I didn't scream. I just cuddled closer into Mark and let his presence remind me I was safe; that Zach couldn't hurt me anymore. He knew whenever I woke up and would tighten his arms around me. It was the best feeling in the world to have him again.

I still couldn't believe that we were back together. How long had it been? A year and a month maybe? Longer? Shorter? At least a year since I'd even seen him. And now when I looked up and see a smiling, sober face instead of a drunken, stoned, angry face, I feel like everything will be all right. For once I'm happy. That weird ping was still there, but it was exactly what I wanted; a reassurance he was there and I still loved him.

I woke up the next morning feeling more refreshed than I had in a long time and for a split second forgetting Mark was even there. I stretched out my arms and legs, and immediately jolted back when my legs crossed over his and I practically elbowed him in the face, startling him awake.

"Ow! Augh, what?!"

"OH MY GOD! I'm so sorry! Are you okay?!" I scurried to sit up and held his face, turning it side to side to make sure he was okay.

"I'm fine. Don't sorry. What were you doing?"

"I...I forgot you were there...so I started to stretch..." He started laughing and rubbing the side of his face where I hit him. "Don't laugh at me!"

"I'm not laughing at you! I'm laughing at your short-term memory loss. You only woke up ten times last night!"

"I did not!"

"I counted. It was actually four times."

"You're such a dick. Why do I like you again?"

"'Cause I'm so strong..." Flexed arms. "So brave..." Superman pose. "And so-"

"BONED!" I squealed, jumping onto him and sending him falling on his back.

"Yep," he laughed. So boned." I sat on top of him and started to play with his hands. I loved holding them, and knowing they they were mine to hold again was...well, wonderful.

"I missed you a lot."

"Same here. I'm glad you're back."

"Now you're mine! And nobody else's!"

"Damn right I am!" I scooted back and he sat up, my legs still wrapped around his waist. "Nothing's going to come in between us again, right?"

"Right." I pecked his cheek and watched the blood flush his face just slightly. "And you forgot 'so handsome.'"

"No. I was about to say it until you attacked me."

"Whatever." His hands came up and took a grip on my hair, bring my head forward until we were resting on each other's foreheads. His breath smelled sweet and warm, like always.

"I almost forgot. I can;t come with you today."

"You can't?"

"No. I have to go record with JonTron and CaptainSparklez again."

"Okay. You do your work today."

"You going to be okay without me there?"

"Yeah. I will be, don't worry."