Chapter 21: Watch My Misery

It is our choices that show what we really are, far more than our abilities. -Albus Dumbledore

Wade picked us up from the airport Thursday evening. I hid behind Mark when I caught my first glance, scared about how he would act towards me this time since the first time he met me in person he despised all of my being. They talked for a minute before Wade saw me behind Mark's back. At first, he was a bit shocked, not really saying or doing anything. I thought he would be spitting out words of disappointment and hate towards me, but instead he brought me in for a tight hug.

"You're here! You're okay. You have no idea how scared we all were!" I was overwhelmed by his sudden concern for me, even though I'd hurt his best friend more times than needed.

"Thank you," was all I could muster out.

He drove us to his and Molly's place, which I'd only been to a hundred times to spend time with Molly who used to be my closest friend here. When I looked out the window, and saw the familiar city pass me by, I felt a bit sad that I left in the first place. Why did I? Why was the first thing that came to mind, and the one thing I did, was to run away? We wouldn't be in this state if it weren't for me. I had so many people to apologize to.

Molly was first, after Wade of course. She opened the door once she heard us pull up and ran with tears in her eyes to me.

"I can't believe it! You're safe! You're here!" She squeezed me until I thought my insides would burst through my nostrils. "Come in, come in! You need to tell us everything that happened. I can't tell you how scared everyone has been. You've been gone for so long, and now you just show up! Please, come on in you guys." She ushered us inside, letting us leave our suitcase in their car since they'd be driving us to our hotel later. "Are you guys hungry? Do you want a drink? I can get you guys anything."

"Just a water, thanks."

"Lexi? Anything?"

"Um...water too, please." I can't remember the last time I was this shy or quiet.

"You don't need to be so shy around us. You've known us for a long time." I jst sat down next to Mark and hung my head low, my hair making a curtain around me face.

"So where were you this entire time, Lexi?" Wade asked.

"Um...i-in L.A. I was...working at a bar."

"So you were a waitress?"

"A-Actually, I was a...a singer."

"Way to go, bud. You got a showgirl for a girlfriend."

"SHUT UP!"

"I wasn't a showgirl! I just sung covers every night."

"Did you live there? Or did you live with someone?"

"I...I lived with...my...boyfriend." I hung my head lower and hid my face a bit more.

"You...you had a boyfriend when Mark found you?" I nodded. "What happened?" I stayed quiet. I didn't really want to talk about it, and I think they could get that.

"He's not with us anymore. Let's just put it at that." Mark put his arm around me and I inched closer to him. I barely looked up and the faces of our friends were filled with dread.

"Did you..."

"No! I didn't. But...he did it..." I sighed. "...to himself." Molly put her hand to her mouth in shock, and looked down at the ground.

"I'm so sorry," she muttered.

"It's fine. I broke up with him a couple days after Mark and I found each other." He rubbed my shoulder and changed the subject.