Chapter 1

I wake to cold sweats sending shivers all over my body and in a panic I search for my watch hoping I haven't overslept. My room is dark and I knock over the framed picture of my mother that sits perched on my bedside table. It is the last photo of her in existence and I never let it leave my bedroom.

My room is a shoebox but it houses my bed and a few of my favorite books which is all i really need from a bedroom.

Finally I fumble around and press the small button on the side of the watch face letting it illuminate the darkened room telling me that it is only 4:36am. Great. I don't need to wake until 6am.

I thrust my head back into the damp pillow and try to recall the reason for my disturbed sleep. Yes, the dream. The strange dream that has been haunting me for years now: cold, dark eyes that follow me where ever I go. Chasing me into an alleyway. They float in the air without being attached to a face and if I look at them directly they begin to take control over my mind.

Another shiver flows through me and I decide enough is enough, I need more sleep.

...

"Evie! Get up!"

My bedroom door swings open as my eldest brother Logan rushes in. I sit up in a panic as he switches on the light allowing me to see the alarm on his face.

"What is it? Logan, what's going on?" I shriek back to him.

With a deep sincerity Logan comes closer and sits on my bed. His hazel eyes are glued to mine as he moves closer to my face.

Something is definitely wrong. He never acts like this.

I make fists with my blankets and pull them close to my chest as if to brace for even more bad news. I wish that for once bad news would stop coming.

All of a sudden a smile breaks across his face as he jumps upward and screams "Happy Birthday!"

I die from the embarrassment that I fell for one of his stupid tricks yet again. I jerk the blankets above my head and fall back into my pillow, scolding myself that I allowed him to pull off yet another prank.

"You thought I would forget, didn't you?" He asks trying to yank the covers off me.

"Actually, I forgot. Does it really matter anymore?"

I kick the blankets off and search for my watch again. Its 5:54am. Well I guess I'm only missing out on 6 minutes of sleep.

I stand up and stretch out my body and see that Logan is fully dressed in his combat outfit. Military issued to all able and willing men and women over the age of 18. The dark grey of the uniform contrasts against his black boots and vest as well as his personality. He has always been a bit of a goofball with his pranks and jokes so seeing him in such dull clothing always brings down my mood.

"Look little sis, you only turn 21 once and just because the odds aren't exactly in our favor, doesn't mean that we can't have some fun." His smile reaches both ears as his overall genuine nature seeps out.

"Fun? What fun is there to have? We are soldiers. We don't do fun." I scold him as I turn to find my own version of the combat outfit. Since I am not allowed to do any actual fighting, I wear the same black vest and boots but with a military green pants and shirt. I am part of the reserve and my job is to do the all of the other jobs the real soldier's won't. One of the not so good perks of my uncle being in charge.

"Ahh but you're forgetting, you're not a soldier." Logan interjects swiftly with a sly look on his face.

He knows it will make me bite back, but not today. Today I am Zen. Today I will not lose my temper like I always seem to do. Today will be a good day with NO bad news! For once in my miserable life, I will be happy.

I shoot him a glare and he knows that I want him out of my room. Silently he raises his hands and backs away.

Just as he reaches the door I decide to throw him a bone.

"Thanks Logan."