Chapter 31

We escape the dressing room quickly and quietly and head down the corridor hoping for another exit. A fire escape outside the only window attracts Alex's attention as he leads me to it and helps me climb through.

I begin to climb down the metal ladder as it squeaks, making my anxiety grow exponentially. Alex catches my eye and gives off a calming smile and I feel my nerves fade away. I climb down slowly to the first landing of the fire escape and wait as Alex swiftly follows almost too quickly for me to see.

We scan our surroundings and look for our next move all the while hoping that no one has seen us. We have to get out of here and fast.

I breathe deeply and try to keep my emotions in check but can't stop myself from thinking about what just transpired inside the theatre. My mind drifts to Steele for the briefest of moments but I know that I can't stand here and weep for him. Alex didn't know who he was and if I just kept my screaming to a minimum I would have found out what Steele was trying to do before I got him killed.

The image of his lifeless body will be forever etched into my mind like a brand upon skin and I will have to live with the guilt of his death on my shoulders forever. It is my fault that Steele is dead, even if Alex was the one to end his life.

The realization is haunting as I try shake it free from my mind. I know that no good can come of reliving what has happened right now. No amount of guilt and blame will help me to survive what will happen tonight. I must keep going.

Alex helps me down the ledge and onto the last landing before holding me tight and jumping to the ground. We land with a thud but no one is close by to hear us, so we continue on into the darkness.

We stay low and keep to the shadows against the theatre walls, all the while checking our surroundings and hoping that no solider comes this way.

Stay close to me. Alex commands and I listen intently. It's the only way that either of us will survive.

We inch further along the side of the building and wait in the shadows for a few more guards to go out of sight, all the while biding out time to make our great escape.

"I need you to find them both. They mustn't leave the zone." A familiar voice of authority commands a small portion of guard's only meters from where we are.

Alex takes a glance around the corner and then turns to head back the other way but I continue moving closer to the voices. I need to know for sure.

I move past him and reach the corner of the building and gaze on in horror as my worst fears are confirmed. It is Uncle James barking orders at his foot soldiers to find me. He needs me for something and I want to know what.

"I don't care what you do to the vampire but I need them both alive. The two will be valuable to our research. But if you must kill the vampire, we can settle with just the girl. Now go and find them." He paces as he shouts his orders and the soldiers are quick to take his words on board and embark on their quest.

Disgust and ferocity has been splashed across his face and he wears his emotions openly so that all may see just how he feels about his own flesh and blood being in cahoots with a vampire.

I am beside myself at the sound of him making it clear that I am now a test subject. No wonder he needed me to come tonight. He needed me as bait so that Alex would show so that he could have us both. He needed me somewhere that he could have us both surrounded but I don't think that he counted on Alex's stomach for killing anyone who dares to harm him or me. In all honesty, I don't think I counted on it either. The way Alex slaughtered those people is definitely a hard thing to un-see.