Chapter 13

The empty streets of abandoned cities pass by in an instant as Alex takes me toward something or someone I dare not ask about. We have been driving for what feels like hours and I am petrified to even look at this man.

Even though I don't want to think about anything other than how will I get out of this mess, millions of questions begin to surface in my mind.

I know that the only way any of my questions will be answered is if I ask them but with Alex being as temperamental as he is, I know that no good can come from angering him.

The last time my answer to his question wasn't to his liking I ended up with bite marks on my neck and left in a cage to be sold like livestock. I raise my hand to my neck and rub lightly at the dried blood as it sticks to my skin. Where ever we are going, I hope there is a shower that I can use.

I stare intently out of the window plotting my escape. I have no idea where I am or where I am going, nor how far away I am from the gates that surround my home.

Home. I think of it and a tear presses against the brim of my eyelid before cascading down my cheek. I swipe it away quickly hoping that Alex does not notice.

I need to send word to my brother. Let him know I am alive and tell him where I am so he can rescue me. I will not leave him alone in this world. We have lost so much already that I can't bear to imagine him losing not only his parents but his siblings too.

Another stray tear flows down my cheek as again I wipe it away but this time I Alex notices. He has seen me shed my private tear.

"Are you ok?" his voice is warm and compassionate as he speaks. His eyes darting between the road and me.

Why this sudden curiosity for my mental wellbeing?

"I'm fine."

"Do you honestly expect me to believe that?"

I gasp at his straight forward suggestion and make sure I don't look his way. I don't want him inside my mind yet again.

"You're upset, I can sense it." Again he speaks with a voice so soft it reminds me of velvet, but at the same time upsets me and churns my stomach. What does he mean that he can sense my feelings? The very idea is threatening.

"Are you going to tell me why you are so upset or do I have to find out for myself?"

Slowly Alex reaches over to me and without saying a word requests my hand in his. I hesitate but I know I will have to subdue to him if I want to survive.

I place my hand gently in his and wait for him to say something.

"I assure you, your brother will not be harmed. He is not what we want. And as for escaping, no one has ever managed to escape under my watch. That is why you were sent to me, among other things." Alex smiles as he answers my unspoken questions. I am too shocked at this unheard of ability that I am rendered speechless.

He has just done it again. Read my mind. How does he do that and why do I feel so afraid of him for being able to? Will he answer me if I ask how?

"You are such a curious girl. Most humans would be crying or begging for their lives but you are more interested in how I can read your mind. So intriguing." He lets out a soft chuckle as though he is amused by how my brain works.

I snatch my hand from his and cross my arms. I don't like this violation of intruding on my private thoughts and I don't want him inside my head anymore.

"Are you going to sulk all the way now?" he teases.

I decide not to even look at him and instead focus on the darkness out of the window and what's left of the working street lights as they manage to flick themselves off and on eerily.