Epilogue

I head down to the beach to watch the sun set over the sea as I do most nights. I know it will get cold soon so I bring Alex's leather jacket with me, hitched over my shoulder as I walk.

The cool, salty sea air blows through my hair and caress's my face but I don't let myself smile. I want to be happy here but I miss Alex more and more with each passing day. Not a single night goes by that I don't dream of his face and wonder where he is.

So much has happened in the time that he has been gone that I have now found myself going through the motions with most things, just waiting for night to fall and for him to come back into my life.

But not everything in this new life is meaningless to me. My brother found a lovely girl that makes him smile and they were married all but two months after meeting. She is now pregnant with their first child and I have never seen him so happy.

Our numbers here grow with every child that is born and before long we will have enough children running around to fill a classroom. Everyone on the island has a hand in taking care of the children here and it is true what they say; it really does take a village to raise a child.

I sigh at the thought of children and the fact that I will never have any of my own and take my normal seat on a smoothed out rock on the cliff face and watch the tide as it brings the waves crashing in against the rocks before dragging them back out to sea. The water is enticing as it gushes forward and lurches back, changing from a soft aqua to a frothy white and back again. I could sit hear all night and just listen to the crashing waves; some nights I have done just that.

Each time I watch the ocean I think about hopping on a boat and leaving this place to find Alex but I haven't the faintest idea on where to start. All I know is that I need to head straight until I hit the coast of Sicily but from there is anyone's guess. I could try to ask a vampire for help but they would more than likely rip my throat open before I could even speak my own name. It is hopeless. I have to remain here and wait for the day that Alex returns to me.

I pull my legs into my chest and sit silently as the crashing waves drown out my thoughts.

"So this is where you come to hide each night?"

I look up and come face to face with Logan as he stares down at me with arms crossed against his chest. His face hides a hidden smile as he glares. He is not angry with me, he just likes to put on a show.

"Care to join me?" I move over and he sits with me and lets out his own large sigh.

"Quite a sight, isn't it?"

"Yeah. That's why I come here." I smile at him as I speak.

Silence falls over us and we sit alone together with our thoughts for a few minutes before I choose to break this silence.

"Not long to go now, daddy. Are you nervous about being a father?" I ask as my humor hides my fear.

"Nah, just excited."

"Have you two decided on any names yet?"

"Yeah, if it's a girl we will call her Anna after Jade's mother. And if we have a boy, we will call him Declyn."

I snap my head towards him at the mention of his name. Our long lost brother who we can only guess was taken by vampires, same as me, but suffered a worse fate. I feel a tear begin to form as I nod in approval to his choices.

Logan begins to look around him and take in his surroundings and sets his eyes on the caves that stand engraved into the rock not too far from us.

"I have never noticed those caves. Huh, pretty cool." His interests in the caves is short lived as he rises from his place and rests his hand on my shoulder.

I place mine on top of his and look up at him silently. He doesn't have to say anything, I already know what he thinks.

Slowly he strolls back up the steps and to the village inside the walls of old Mdina, the silent city of Malta where we have all made our home. I decide to stay and slip into my jacket so to protect me from the wind as it begins to grow bitter and icy.

I hear footsteps coming from the distance and laugh to myself at the thought of Logan having forgotten something to tell me. I don't bother looking behind me and instead wait for him to come to me.

The footsteps come to a halt behind me and are followed by silence.

"Did you forget something?" I call out with a devilish smile painted on my lips.

"Yes." The familiar voice fills the air as I gasp unable to move.

Slowly I turn my head and gaze up at his gapping blue eyes as they bore down onto me rendering me helpless at the sight.

He is here. He has returned.

Hey everyone. If you liked this don't forget to check out the 2nd installment in the series, Zone Zero: Redemption.
Happy reading!!!!