Chapter 27

We arrive at what use to be one of Moscow's most honored theaters and are ushered inside by a young man no older than 14. He is friendly but seems a little cold to the idea of playing usher for tonight's esteemed guests.

We follow him through the red carpeted foyer and into the room that once held hundreds of chairs for when the ballet and opera would play. Where the chairs once were now stand dozens of round tables beautifully decorated and circling around a section of floor that has been chosen specifically for dancing. All the while a small symphony plays on the theatres stage overlooking the growing crowd. The red velvet curtains are drawn behind the small orchestra that consists of no more than six talented musicians as they grace the room with their skillful music. The entire scene is dazzling.

Each table is topped with a pressed white linen table cloth and an enormous bouquet of fresh flowers. Candles lay lit in every corner of the room and every surface that you can possibly think of as the grand chandelier above us is set to dim.

Someone went into a lot of trouble to make this evening remarkable and Logan and I are both stunned at the beauty that befalls us.

We are shown to our table and are greeted by Uncle James as he stands from his seat dressed in his finest tuxedo looking remarkably like a penguin.

I stifle my giggle and greet him in a friendly manner due to the amount of people watching. A slight kiss on the cheek so not to disrupt my makeup suffices, before he turns his attention to Logan and greets him as well.

"My dear, you look ravishing. And Logan, you clean up well my boy." He makes sure to complement us both to make himself look good in front of the rest of the table before introducing us to each guest as they stare up at us from behind their drinks. Each name goes in one ear and out of the other as Uncle James presents each person.

"Everyone this is my strapping nephew Logan and my darling niece Evette." He makes sure that he puts his arm around me as he says my name to show the table how close we are. I hide the urge to vomit.

We take our seats and begin the night of awkwardness.

I tune out of the conversation being had the moment the focus is off me and begin to take in the architecture of this place. Opera boxes that look as though they were built over a century ago stand tall along the outer areas of where we sit, still in perfect condition. The detailing is so remarkable that it is hard not to look at the gold trim and perfectly painted cherubs and other assorted angels that grace the walls.

Russia did very well to protect their landmarks with the fall of the other Zones. Everywhere else was evacuated and left to corrode over time but Russia made sure that the memory of what was here before the fall of the Zones will always remain.

As I stare at each opera box and admire the effort that was taken to create them, I notice a man dressed in a black suit and shirt standing alone looking down on the rest of the party. What draws me to him is his red tie. The exact same colour red as my dress. What a coincidence.

I watch him as he surveys the party and realize that he must be some sort of security guard, the way he assesses his surroundings so methodically. I continue to watch him hoping to catch a glimpse of his face when he turns to me swiftly and stares at me as though he knows me. A smile forms on his lips as he takes a step closer to the balcony.

"Evette?" a woman's voice calls me away from the mystery man's gaze and I snap my head to attention.

"I'm sorry I was admiring the theatre. What were you saying?"

"I asked if you have met my son yet." The woman has a thick Russian accent which could only mean that her son must be the illustrious Maxim that Uncle James has so tactfully been pushing me towards. I smile but before I can open my mouth, Uncle James takes control of the situation.