Chapter 20

"Are you insane? Why would you think that is was a good idea to take her downstairs with you?" Alex's voice rings throughout the loft as he paces, shouting his words at Amelia.

Amelia stands accepting his disapproval but making sure that she does not look at him directly. She instead chooses the floor. A feat I know all too well.

I watch from the couch where Alex so graciously pushed me after telling me to stay put before turning his attention, and anger, to Amelia.

"How could you let this happen? Do you have any idea what could have happened if i didn't get there when i did?"

I watch helplessly as he tears shreds off Amelia all the while she remains silent. She is taking the entire blame for something that I had a large part in myself. I need to speak up.

Summoning all my courage I choose to stand and address Alex.

"It wasn't her fault. I begged her to let me come. I didn't think that you would care."

Alex snaps his head toward me, still mastering the art of angst at the exact same time that Amelia turns her attention to me with a look that screams 'I got this'.

"Stay out of this Evie." Alex's voice commands in one loud roar and instead of feeling scared and sitting down like I know I should, I choose to stand against him and let my voice be heard.

"No. It is my fault so take it out on me. Leave Amelia out of this."

Alex watches me for a few moments choosing to stay silent but I can tell that he is calmer than he was just moments ago.

"You may go, Amelia."

Amelia takes no time to ponder what will become of me and sets off in a bee line to the door and closes it behind her.

Alex and I are now alone as the tension in the air thickens.

I take in a deep breath and wait for the blow that will surely hit me harder than any punch ever could but to my surprise Alex doesn't say a word.

Slowly he strolls over to the couch and makes himself comfortable and motions that I should sit as well. I do as he asks and await his response.

Alex remains silent as the seconds tick past and I feel i should speak first.  I need to defend my actions.

"It was my fault, Alex. Please don't blame Amelia." My words are pleading as I beg for a vampire not to be harmed. Who would have guessed I would ever ask for that?

"Do you have any idea what could have happened? Have you no regard for your own life?" Alex stays calm as he speaks and waits for me to give an earnest reply.

"I didn't think that anything would happen. I just figured that this may possibly be my last night alive and I wanted to see what a night club was like. They don't have any in my zone." I am honest with him but choose not to look at him directly in case I lose my nerve to speak the truth. I never expected that anything like this would happen.

"Look Evie, I need you in one piece so I can figure out what Cail wants with you. You can't be so careless." He speaks as though he were dealing with a repentant child and maybe in some way he is, but all I notice is the use of the name Cail.