Chapter 8

The alleyway is cold and I haven't got a jacket. I stand freezing and clutching my bare arms for warmth. I stumble along trying to find something but I'm not sure what, when the darkened eyes that haunt me appear. This time they are not black and deceitful but are bright and welcoming blue. I smile when I see them and walk toward them with open arms. Something tells me that I should be with them and that all is well as long as those eyes are watching me.

I step closer and closer but the eyes descend further away into the darkness as if asking me to follow them. I oblige and continue walking. Step by step I feel content and am no longer afraid. There is no reason to be afraid when the eyes watch me.

Suddenly the eyes disappear and I am left standing in the dark with no sign of light anywhere. I feel the terror rise in my stomach as I spin around on the spot hoping to see something in the darkness. But as I turn, something knocks my leg and it urges me to stay still.

Without warning a bright flood light is turned on and shines down on me from above banishing the darkness and leaving me in a state of awe. I try to look up into the light, but it is blinding and stings my eyes.

I take this opportunity to search my surroundings, but when I do I see body parts and blood splashed across the floor. Limbs of former people lay fanned out across the ground as a man dressed in a black suit watches on from the shelter of the nearby shadows.

I am startled by his presence and try to search for his face but it lies completely hidden by the darkness. The only thing I can see are the bright blue eyes from earlier, watching me but this time ease does not course through me, but anxiety. It fills my lungs and tightens my muscles so that I cannot move or scream.

My breathing reaches new heights as I try to will myself to move but I can't even will myself to look away. So I do the only thing I know that I can do right now. I slam my eyes shut hoping to banish this place from thoughts and bring me back to reality.

It's just a dream! My mind screams out to me but I am crippled with fear.

I let out an ear piercing scream just as my eyes finally open bringing mr back into the real world.

Gasping for air I pull my chest and knees together until I am sitting upright and try to regain some form of composure.

I take a few moments to regulate my breathing and let the satin sheets caress my naked legs.

Abruptly I begin to search myself and my environment only to find that I am in a large four poster bed with ivory satin sheets embracing my body. The room is lit only by a cluster of candles next to me on a bedside table, revealing the dark red colour that has been splashed against the walls and the rich mahogany of the bed in which I lie in.

I check my wrists and feet but I am not shackled anymore and I am also no longer wearing a hospital grade gown but a black satin and lace nightie.

What is going on here? Am I dreaming? Again?

I go to stand up but I feel the room spin as my head gets cloudy. I sit back down and soon begin to hear a voice from the other room.

"Let me talk to Marion." The voice is muffled but I can still distinguish it. It is from the vampire from earlier, Alex. He has an angry tone to his voice and I can only pray that it is not due to me.

"Marion you really are getting sloppy in your old age! She had a head injury! What were you trying to do?"

Head injury? I run my fingers through my long hair and let them caress my scalp. I don't remember a getting a head injury.

"Skull fracture. Yes and bleeding on the brain. She's fine now no thanks to you. She's sleeping. Who is she anyway?" His voice isn't as loud as before but his tone is still that of disappointment and rage.