Chapter 29

I enter the ballroom again and head to my table to take my seat.

All parties are deep in conversation so I am barely even noticed as I sit down. I sip my wine that has been refilled for me just as a sharp pain in my head stabs through making itself clear that it will be a nuisance.

I rub my temples gently and continue to sip more wine. There it goes again. The pain, but this time it is followed with pictures of green and pink ribbons twisting in the sky.

What was that?

Logan notices that I am having a hard time and turns his attention to me.

"Are you ok?"

"Just a headache coming on. I'll be fine." I smile at him and he continues to converse with Max over their patrols and tactics. They are laughing and seem to be getting along just fine. I guess I know what Logan thinks about Max and our proposed marriage.

I watch them converse and can't help but wonder if there is anything wrong with Max or if he is as perfect as he seems.

He notices me watching him and smiles my way just as an elderly gentleman in a light grey suit tries to side step his way past our table but accidently nudges Max's arm, causing Max to spill his drink on his pants. I watch intently as Max's pupils dilate and his anger flairs up. He turns to the man and glares at him with sullen eyes triggering the man to promptly apologize and move as fast as his frail legs dare take him.

The look on Max's face is made of stone as he revels in the victory of belittling an old man. Something about the look in his eyes sends an alarm bell ringing in my mind but i am quick to shut it off.

Max shakes off this encounter and glances a quick grin my way yet again before continuing his conversation with Logan.

I lean back in my chair and try to analyze what I just witnessed when the pain strikes again. This time with more force as even more pictures flood my mind; a giant sized house on a lake with large windows everywhere, blue eyes as they watch me and the amazement of the colours in the sky as they dance around themselves abolishing the darkness with their beauty.

I shake my head and try to shake free the pain but I don't think it wants to go anywhere.

I stand abruptly hoping to escape and get a glass of water from the bar, but my chair drags and makes a cringe worthy sound, telling of my intention and sparking the ears of my betrothed. Max is up like a flash and standing beside me with an eager hand on my lower back.

"Are you ok? Can I get you something?" He asks genuinely.

"I'm fine. I'm just going to get some water."

Max nods at my plan and moves aside so that I may go about my business but I can feel his eyes watch me as I take each step.

As I begin to cross the dance floor and make my way to the bar, a gentle hand grabs my arm and spins me around.

I gasp at the sheer surprise and look up to gaze upon the man who wishes to now steal a dance from me. I can't say that I am shocked to see that it is the same man that just stole a kiss.

"Dance with me." His voice is barely a whisper as he commands me to stay and without thinking my body allows it and lets him lead the way.

He moves as though he has done this a million times before as he strides before me showing me what to do. I follow his lead and watch his face closely as he stares me down.

Wait a minute, I don't want to dance; I want to get away. Why can't I stop dancing with him? I have lost control over my body, all I can do is dance with this unknown man. What has he done to me?