Part 3

Maths really isn't my thing. People always say it's important and you need it later on in life but I just don't get it! I can't understand how people remember algebra and trigonometry and photosynthesis and... probably some other stuff, but like I said, math isn't my thing. I sit there for 80 minutes with a blank expression on my face hoping, just hoping, that something will click and I'll magically be able to understand math. But that never happens, so when the teacher calls me to work out a problem on the board, I keep sitting there, wishing that I could crawl under a rock and stay there. Mr Ibbotson seems to understand what I'm thinking, so he just gives me a disapproving look.

"See me after class, Miss Ross."

Wonderful. Now I'm going to have yet another lecture from him and my face has gone bright red. It's not like I've never had to stay behind before and I know I suck at math, but there's no need for him to let the whole class know! Ugh, what a great start to the day.

After class, everyone packs away and leaves while I stay behind. Mr Ibbotson gets up and comes to stand in front of my desk. I sheepishly look up at him, expecting him to go off at me for not paying attention.

"I see you've been struggling a bit this semester, Miss Ross. Is everything ok?" He asks. I'm slightly surprised that he's asking. I thought he'd just yell at me for not paying attention.

"Um, yeah everything's fine. I just really don't understand the topics," I explain, picking at my nails in an effort not to start biting them.

"Oh, I see. Is there a specific topic you don't understand?"

He tilts his head slightly to the side, awaiting my reply.

"Well, that would be all of them..."

∞◊∞◊ 5 minutes later ◊∞◊∞

I run to my locker, already starting to look for Isla, desperate to tell her what just happened. Who knew that having a meeting with your maths teacher could change your life? Well, I hope it does anyway! I finally spot her straight blonde hair and race towards her nearly knocking a few other kids over in my rush to get to her.

"Isla! ISLA!"

She looks towards me and automatically throws her hands up to stop me barreling into her.

"Calm down girl, what is it?"

She looks at me expectantly, waiting for me to catch my breath.

"You'll never... guess who... Mr Ibbotson... just paired me with for a tutor!"

She looks at me, waiting for me to go on.

"Noah!!! That really hot guy who asked if you were ok this morning?"

Her eyes widen and her mouth gapes opens in excitement.

"No way! You got Noah Smith as a tutor???"

"Yep!"

"Ugh you're so lucky! Why do I have to be good at maths?"

I roll my eyes as she complains and laugh, grabbing my books for the next class and starting to walk off.

"Hey! Don't walk away from me, Hayley, I'm not done complaining yet!

I laugh at her and hug her goodbye before we part ways for our next class.

◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊∞◊

♥︎ Comment, vote and add ♥︎

Adrienne