Chapter 7

~Mackenzie's POV~

"Ok, Jacob and I used to be best friends as kids. We would run around the block together and go to the park. One day when we went to the park bad things happened..." Robbie started. He shook his head and looked down.

"What things?" I asked, glancing at the clock. We didn't have much time. He looked up at the clock and then back at me.

"We should probably get going." He stood up and held his stomach. I got up quickly to help him stand up straight. I touched his shoulder and he looked at me. I quickly put my hand back down.

"You should probably put that brace on." I said, gesturing to the brace on the ground. He shook his head.

"I only have to wear that for a couple weeks. But I don't want to wear it." He kicked the brace out of the way and then looked at me. I nodded my head and walked over to the door. I turned around and looked at him.

"Hey, um do you want to start over? We kind of started off on the wrong foot." He asked, looking at the ground. "I'm sorry for that."

"It's fine. And yeah I would love to start over." I said. He looked up at me and a smile appeared on his face. He held out his hand. "Friends?" He asked.

"Friends." I said, before grabbing his hand. I opened the door and held it open for him since he was injured.

"Are you sure you don't want your brace?" I asked, as he shrugged out the door. He nodded his head and opened his mouth. "I'm fine." He said. I nodded my head and shut the door behind him. The bell rang and we walked back into the lunch room. I headed for my table and he headed for his. I grabbed my stuff and turned back around and saw Robbie standing right there.

"Let's go." He said, walking next to me. We walked through the halls until we got to our class. English class isn't so bad. It's pretty easy for me. We walked in and Gabby stared at me with a confused look. Robbie sat behind me in this class. We sat down and Gabby looked at me again. She sat next to me thank god.

"What?" I said, before the bell rang. She shrugged and turned to the teacher. We sat in the back so I couldn't see the board well. I felt someone poke my back. I turn around and look at Robbie who was acting like he is paying attention.

"Really? Do you have to start this?" I whispered, laughing a little. He tried his best not to smile but he couldn't hold back. "That's what I thought." I whispered again, before turning back around.

"Robbie." Mr. Leonard called. His head perked up when he heard his name.

"I'm sorry could you repeat that?" He asked. Mr. Leonard sighed.

"Which in of these is a prepositional phrase?" He repeated. Robbie sat quiet.

"Ummm that one." Robbie said, not even pointing at the answer. "What one?" Mr. Leonard asked.

"That one." Robbie said again. "Robbie if you say that again and not point at the answer you have detention." Mr. Leonard threatened.

"I'm cool with that." Robbie replied. The teacher wrote Robbie's name under the detention list.

"I won't be here for detention so you will go to Ms. Jennings' room after school." Mr. Leonard said, before turning back to the board.

"Mackenzie, can you tell me which on of these is the prepositional phrase?" My teacher asked, glancing over at me. I looked at the board.

"Um the phrase before the game." I read. He nodded his head and underlined the words 'before the game'.

The hour went by quickly and now I was in 5th hour. Robbie sat diagonal from me in this class. Spanish isn't that bad of a class either. It was hard for Robbie though. Whenever he would say something totally wrong I would laugh quietly. I don't think he heard me though.

My teacher didn't call on me the whole hour. I just kind of sat there and cleaned out my binder. She didn't mind though. She would yell at other kids for cleaning out their binder but she wouldn't yell at me. I guess she liked me. Haha that's a first. Normally my teachers hate me.

Finally I was in 6th hour. Robbie sat in front of me and Jacob sat next to me. This class is German. I didn't mind having 2 different languages. I was doing the assignment that we were assigned to do. I felt someone tap my shoulder with a pencil or something. I turned and saw that it was Jacob. He held out a piece of paper that he ripped from his assignment.

I looked at it and then back it him. He tossed it on my desk and my eyes followed it. I set my pencil down and grabbed the paper. I unfolded the small piece of paper and saw words on it. It said 'will you go out with me? Circle yes or no. -Jacob'. I didn't even look at him. I felt horrible about what I was about to do.

I picked up my pencil and put the tip of it on the paper. I circled no and wrote 'I'm sorry I just don't like you that way' at the bottom of the paper. I folded the paper and slowly handed it to Jacob. I looked at him with sorrow filled eyes. I don't think he noticed though. He put it in his pocket without looking at it.

Either he got the message from how I was looking at him or he wanted to wait until after class. The bell rang out of no where and I still had tons of papers out of my binder. People walked next to my row and all of the papers fell. Jacob had already left the room. Robbie saw that the papers fell and walked over to me.

I started picking them up and I saw that Robbie kneeled down and picked them up too. He handed me the stack he picked up and I shoved it in my binder, which also fell on the ground. I closed my binder and saw a hand being held out to me. I looked up and saw that it was Robbie's hand.

I took it and he pulled me up but I could see him holding back the pain. We walked out side by side. We both walked into Ms. Jennings' room because we both had detention. We were the only ones in there other than the teacher. We talked quietly and laughed the whole time we were there.

Suddenly, Jacob came running in with tears in his eyes. "How could you do this to me!?" He yelled, crumpling up the paper. He threw it at me before running back out. I looked at Robbie, who was confused. Robbie grabbed the paper and read it. He put a hand on my shoulder and looked at me.

"It'll be okay." He said, as a tear fell from my eye.