Vagary (n.)

Lance was all over the place. One second he's on the phone, looking as though he was speaking to the devil themself, and the other he's pacing around the room in hysteria.

Keith had no idea what to do besides sit there. What are you supposed to do when your friend loses their shit?

"Oh no this is bad this is bad..."

"Lance."

"I have no one to take....I can't bother Hunk right now..."

"Lance."

"Pidge is a minor....and Allura is out of town..."

"Lance."

"Could I take Coran? Would that be weird...?"

"LANCE."

"Huh?"

Keith sighed, "Lance, what's wrong?"

Lance hesitated before taking a breath and spilling the news.

"Okay so my girlfriend went out tonight and somehow ended up at a party and she's asking for me and I have no idea what to do because I have no one to take and she says I can't show up alone or I'll look like a loser with no friends and I'll make her look bad but I-"

"I'll go with you." Keith stated, the words slipping out of his mouth before he could think twice. 'Shit oh no why the fuck did I say that shit fuck shit okay okay maybe he didn't hear-'

"You'd do that?" Lance's eyes beamed with hopeful radiance, eyes Keith couldn't deny if he tried.

"Yeah, I'd-"

"Oh my God you're the best!" Lance enveloped Keith in a quick hug before darting off, "I'm gonna go change! I'll meet you in the parking lot in five!"

Keith stared at the vacant pool. The water rippling silently, mocking him almost. He felt like an idiot, letting his own impulsiveness get the better of him.

"Fuck you." He said both to the water, and to no one in general, before proceeding with his regretful decision.

---

Okay so you don't have to stay for the whole time, just show up, chill a bit and you can leave! Sound good?" Lance walked up to the front of the lavender beach house with Keith by his side.

Keith groaned internally, the purple walls irritating him beyond control. He hated feeling so helpless all the time, but he continued hanging out with Lance, laughing, smiling, talking- so how much did he really hate it? He did however, love teasing the other boy. It always made Keith feel better, to get on Lance's nerves.

"Why would I leave?" Keith smirked.

"Well, you don't really like people, I just assumed-"

"Nah Lance. I just don't like you." He smiled sweetly, leaving Lance gawking.

"Well excuse you, Mr. Hotshot. After I extend an olive branch of friendship, this is the thanks I get?" Lance tried to keep a straight face, but evidently struggled.

Keith giggled, "Who says I wanted your friendship?"

Lance gasped dramatically, over exaggerating his betrayal. "Fine! Suffer at this party as long as you want! I. Don't. Care."

"Fine." Keith inched closer, pushing Lance further.

"Fine." Lance retorted.

Neither of them dared to break eye contact, nor shy away. There were a lot of hidden words within the space they occupied, words they wouldn't dare say aloud, too dangerous, too risky, so they simply sat in the void between the two. They, physically, were only inches apart, a small shove and-