Hiraeth (n.)

It's been exactly fifty-seven hours, twenty-nine minutes, and six seconds since Keith had last seen Lance.

Not that he was counting.

Not that every minute weighed onto him like stone, crushing against his chest. The stone was only collecting itself, forging a new wall around his heart.

Only this time, it wouldn't be broken through so easily.

Only this time, Keith had reverted to an apathetic fortress as a reminder of a mistake- he wasn't going to let someone hurt him again. This castle wouldn't be flooded with unrequited love and dangerous emotions.

He had started a fire inside of himself.

And he was going to burn everyone in his way.

---

Lance had left Keith ten messages, twenty texts, and two emails.

Each one started with desperation, crowded with apologies and broken sincerity.

Each one was another jab at his heart, and being totally honest- there wasn't much of it left. Lance finally understood what it was like to be Keith, to sell his heart, piece by piece, in exchange for words- for another chance.

Lance had majorly fucked up and he knew it. His mind kept playing the memory on a loop, and it was killing him.

The memory of finally breaking away, just to see raven hair leaving his life. Perhaps for good.

The memory of trying to push through a typhoon of a crowd, calling out a name that is now numb on his tongue.

The memory of finally catching up to the boy of his dreams, pulling his hand back, just to be met by stone cold eyes, flushed with regret.

And a slap to the face. The same loving hands that once grasped his cheek now left a burn that wouldn't go away.

The memories wouldn't go away.

It was like being lost in space while all your brain can think about is breathing.

All Lance could think about was breathing. And the same boy who caught his breath so many times before, had kept it for good.

He had his heart in a chokehold.

And Lance wasn't sure he wanted Keith to let go.

---

"Keith, buddy, you've got to come out soon..." Shiro had been trying to persuade Keith to leave his room for the past two days, with no prevail. He was trying to give Keith some space, but his brother hadn't even told him what happened, simply got home and shut himself out immediately. And it wasn't like this was the first time Keith had pulled this kind of stunt, but it was always heartbreaking to see his brother like this. Shiro knew that Keith didn't take emotional pain well- the littlest things seemed to push him further into a complete spiral- so a full-blown break up with someone who couldn't make up their damn mind was sure to leave quite a toll.

"Fine." Keith sighed, walls softening the emittent sarcasm.

"Thank you!"

"I'm gay."

"Keith..."

"Ugh. I'll be out in ten minutes."

Keith looked around his hurricane of a room. Once he'd gotten home, he sort of, almost, kind of, definitely threw a giant tantrum, one involving throwing around his entire wardrobe, and knocking down every single thing he possibly could. It was nice to have it out of his system, but not so nice to have it radiating every inch of his enclosed space.