Amaranthine (adj.)

"They say that when you die, everything goes in slow motion, but not really. For me, it was more of an out of body experience. I watched it happened. In my nightmares I can still see myself wash up on shore, lifeless.

I died the same way I fell in love.

Headfirst."

- Where the Water Ends
   by Keith Kogane (Winner of Mamora College's Annual Short Story Award) (New York Times Bestseller)

...

Keith reminisced, glancing over the crowd from his seat on the stage, at his first official book signing.

A lot had changed in the past two years.

He was taller, for one thing. "More grizzled" as his boyfriend put it.

Speak of the devil.

"You nervous?" A familiar voice broke out from beside him, whispering gently in his ear.

"Nah, piece of cake." Keith smiled confidently, swallowing the dozen butterflies deep beneath his suit.

"Ooo okay big guy." Lance draped his arm around Keith lazily, resting his head on his boyfriend's shoulder, a calming comfort before the butterflies kicked back in.

"...Now presenting, the man himself, Keith Kogane!" The announcer called to him, and Keith walked what felt like miles across the stage.

He cleared his throat against the mic, trying to look past the dozen faces, and find the speech he had written somewhere in his mind.

"H-hey everyone."

"You got this!" Lance whispered from behind him, smiling loudly on the stage.

"It's me, Keith. I am- I am your writer."

"Has a real way with words doesn't he folks?" Lance shouted from his chair, erupting a song of laughs from the audience.

Keith smiled widely at the antic.

Some things didn't change too much.

"Ignore him, we already tried kicking him out." Another series of giggles broke out, and Keith finally felt at ease.

"No, but in all seriousness, that's my long time boyfriend, Lance," a handful of 'aww's caught on, "Yeah, he's the worst."

More laughs.

"Okay, being for real, this book could have never happened without him. I don't know where I'd even be if I hadn't met Lance. He's taught me so much, about life and love, and never giving up- especially on yourself...

"There was one time, about a year ago, when we were standing on a beach in Cuba, right outside his mom's house; and we had this absolutely amazing view of the sunset, just the two of us, and I couldn't help but think of everything we'd been through, alone and together. And even today, my mind goes back to those tides. Pulling and pushing, rise and fall. And I can't help but think, we're all alot like tides, you know?

"We rise against everything trying to keep us down, and when we fall...well we fall so we can rise higher again. Plus, aren't we all chasing the sun? Our goals? Dreams? The moon? Love?

"I think Lance and I are alot like the sun and moon. We aren't really alike, at all. But we are also the same. We are connected through tides. Through our will to rise and fall.

"I think, what I'm trying to say is: Where the Water Ends is a very personal piece to me, and it's also dealing with our will to get better. We have the power to break through our fears, just like water breaking through sand, and we each have the strength of tides. For me, I just needed someone to help me remember."

Keith glanced back then, eyes softening to the boy in the black suit behind him, who had rushed into his life like a flood, whose eyes creased into smiling waterfalls, staring at him with the utmost adoration.

"I hope to each of you, Where the Water Ends serves as that reminder. And that we all will continue to pushing back to shore. Here's to riding the tides!" Keith punched an empty fist into the air, as the crowd broke out from under him in cheers.

He smiled as he turned back, only to be winded backwards as Lance shoved himself into his lover's arms.

"You were amazing babe." He whispered lovingly, finally breaking away to meet Keith's eyes.

"Thanks Lance." Keith smiled dearly, leaning into the hand that stroked his scar.

They walked down that stage together, hand in hand. And as they walked, Keith thought of all the reasons he loved the ocean.

6) It always brings me back to you.

fin.

....

I can't believe it. It's the end.

Honestly I don't really know how to sum up what I'm feeling into words (ironic I know).
This fic and this community has been such a big part of my life for the past two years and since voltron was first released. You all mean so much to me, and have helped me out a lot more than you might realize.

I will not say goodbye, because it's really not. I'll never stop writing, and I can't wait to see where Voltron takes us next (who's staying up with me tonight? ;D)

All in all, thank you for riding this tide with me.

Keep breathing.

Till we meet again.

~ Tan ♡