Chapter Five

Chapter Five

It was lunchtime and I was the talk of the school.

My lessons were not as normal as they usually were. I thought back to how no one noticed me in class or maybe they just didn’t bother to acknowledge me but either way I was fine with it, heck I even liked it. It was easy just getting on with the work and then having lunch with my friends quietly before getting the last two lessons over with so I could head home to Tommy.

But today was different and not in a good way.

My lessons consisted of me walking into class only for everyone to stop what they were doing and curiously stare at me until I was sat in my seat- then the whispers would start to arise. I would keep my face forward until the teacher arrived, trying my best to ignore the people behind me. But it wasn’t that easy. I heard some girls say how I must have given Drake something for him to actually be with me let alone talk to me. The boys would say how they didn’t know I was that ‘type’ and it just made me feel slightly sick.

Then when the teacher did arrive, I always sighed with relief but it didn’t stop, much to my dismay. They started throwing notes at me, writing horrible stuff that made me want to just walk out of the class but I couldn’t show them how much it affected me. The students would kick my chair from behind or snigger at some lame joke someone might have said about me.

My patience was wearing extremely thin. These people didn't even know me, they didn't know what happened, and hell they didn’t even know my name till this morning. Now here I was, after one ride with Drake and all of a sudden I'm the girl that needed to be judged upon by the student population.

I naively thought that maybe if I just ignored them then they would stop. I thought that after a little while it would die down. But no, that isn’t happening. There was always a limit to these things and sometimes people just didn't know when to stop.

Walking inside the canteen completely aggravated and very hungry, I waited in the queue impatiently. Once I brought a tuna salad sandwich and a small chocolate cake, I headed towards the table where my friends were sitting. There was a permanent scowl etched across my face. My mood was icy.

I hadn’t even taken a seat yet before they started bombarding me with questions.

“Seriously guys, calm the fudge down. There’s people listening in,” I frowned in controlled anger. I looked around and noticed how people were trying to discreetly listen in on us. It was pathetic and it was just what my school was good at. They always feed of information and gossip.

“Sorry, but you have to tell us what’s going on with you and Drake,” Jessie whispered. They all nodded in agreement with her, clearly not understanding what was happening with me.

I leaned in and told them all to huddle in.

“Okay, it’s not what it looks like. I simply gave him a lift because his motorbike broke down and plus I guess I kind of owed him since he gave me a lift last night,” I whispered so quietly that they all had to strain their ears to hear me.

“Damn!” Charlie said, shocked.

“Agreed,” they all said, nodding simultaneously, with similar shocked expressions.

“What?” I asked confused.

“Um Rose, don’t you know who Drake Night is?” Maria asked, staring at me as if I was the mad person here. Maybe I was but the frustration and confusion was reaching its peak. The overwhelming attention was taking its toll and I just didn't like it. All of this dramatic behavior was annoying.