Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

My eyes took in the display of my surroundings. Everything looked like it came straight out of a fantasy with the creamy gold theme, the endless chandeliers hanging above everyone and the marbled floor so shiny I could see my own reflection. Everything looked so beautiful and expensive. I was actually scared to touch anything just in case I broke it.

There were people milling around with drinks in their hands, smiling and laughing but they mostly all looked fake. All secretly trying to outweigh who had more money and what designer brand they were wearing. They were the ones you get where they look down upon anyone who isn’t up to their standards. There were others who were dancing to the music flowing out of the speakers, some already slightly tipsy.

Everything was all posh, sophisticated and quite simply amazing.

I let my eyes roam around the room as I noticed the tables on one side of the room but that’s not what caught my attention. No it was the tall guy in the white suit walking down the stairs for everyone to see. I watched everyone turn around, their attention solely focused on him. His black hair contrasted sharply with the white.

He was confident. I could just see it oozing out of him.

I saw people rush forward, shaking his hand as if he was some sort of prince. I could see he enjoyed it, the way his blue eyes would flash every time someone would compliment him.

Then he looked in our direction.

His eyes were connected with Drakes and then I saw a genuine smile form on his thin lips as he made his way past the people gathering around him and towards us. He made long confident strides, his back straight and his eyes gleaming from the light provided by the chandeliers. He was at once in front of Drake with his arms outstretched.

“Drake, you made it,” he grinned, grabbing Drake in that guy hug where they pat each other’s backs as hard as they could. I never really understood how that was comforting but it was probably a macho man thing.

“Obviously I made it, you made me,” Drake replied bluntly, which may have been rude if there wasn’t a smile playing at his lips.

“I’m glad you could come,” he continued, ignoring Drakes statement. Then his gaze crossed over towards me and I saw his eyes flash, his eyes going a little darker as he stared at me head to toe, slowly, as if taking in every inch of me.

“And who may this be?” he asked, his eyes on me but the question was directed at Drake. I noticed how there were quite a few people watching us, which was starting to become a normal thing since school was making me get used to it.

“Rose,” I answered for him before Drake could. He grabbed my hand in his gently, placing a soft kiss on top whilst looking at me. His blue eyes were the lightest I had ever seen.

“Rose? Such a beautiful name for an incredibly beautiful woman,” he said ever so smoothly. Yet I wasn’t affected by his charm and the only thought crossing my mind was, cheesy much?

I pulled my hand away, slightly uncomfortable with Drake watching. I don’t think I would have liked it if I saw some girl flirting with Drake so I wasn’t going to do it myself.

“I’m Blake. Blake Reed,” he introduced himself, saying it as if I must have already known that piece of information, which I sort of did because of Jess and Maria but that doesn’t really count.

He was looking at me expectantly as if waiting for me to say something. Did he think I was going to bow down or something?

I kept my face composed, slightly bored. “That’s great to know,” I said with my voice disinterested; my eyes lacked to hold the bright privilege like the other people who came to meet him.