Hushed

Author: llama_butt
Book: Hushed

The Flow:
One word: Wow. Can I just say, I love your style of writing. This is the second book I've read from your collection, and I hope there's more to come. I really enjoyed reading this piece of mysterious-criminal-based genre because you managed, to some extent, make it comically engaging. Like my previous critique, you need to fix the layout and the minimal punctuation mistakes. But other than that, the flow is on point. The combination of themes: friendship and mystery, was interestingly exemplified eloquently. One thing that disrupted the 'mystery' theme was in the last two chapters when you revealed Devan's real personality. The element of suspense, and his mysterious side was obliterated just as fast. His calm and reserved demeanour was instantly vanished when he spoke to Rosie normally. I didn't feel like what he went through (in their conversation) was traumatic and that it had any effect on him EVEN THOUGH it was life changing for an UNKNOWN reason. Which is the focal point of the story line. The fact that there is something missing, and the story behind what really happened to his father is yet to be solved. They formed a relationship so quickly, it didn't leave room, PERSONALLY, for me to kind of want to know more about the facade Devan portrayed in the beginning. Because the reason behind her investigation had been the result of his secluded nature, that's what captured her attention. So the fact that you revealed this easy going person after building walls around him, kind of extinguished that sense of enigma.

Characters who resonated with me:
Rosie and Zack:
They're friendship is just the cutest. I truly enjoyed their conversations. I had this sloppy smile in every one of their encounters. Both of them have extremely opposing personalities, she's so stubborn and impulsive and he calculates everything and is somewhat doubtful in every situation. I feel like he grounds Rosie's crazy side, WELL he attempts to :D but anyway. No constructive criticism needed here, honestly love the two.

Rank: 7/10 - this book is about SUSPENSE and solving the puzzle. Make sure you don't go on a tangent!